Looking for a free and enduring mp3 lame converter

six-h 16:59 03 May 2005

I want to convert music files from WAV and WMA to mp3, a friend downloaded DB Poweramp ver 11, and Pinnacle steinberg clean plus,however they limit mp3 decoding to 20 processes/1 month respectively.
I have since discovered that itunes which I also have , converts to mp3, is this "lame" or some inferior codec?
another asside, since installing "Clean, pinnacle keeps telling me that I have problems with my soundcard driver settings but I cannot connect to the internet on my pc, and would not know what information would be needed to identify suitable updates,does it make a difference that my sound is onboard rether than a dedicated card?
DB poweramp on the other hand tells me that it does not have the required codec to play WMA files,which are in my media player 9 library, surely the codec must also be there?? anyway neither programme will open wma files. what to do??

Border Collie 17:08 03 May 2005

This click here any good?

six-h 17:15 03 May 2005

Thanks for your swift response, but I only have access to the net at college wher I am now, and "SURF CONTROL" denies access, canyou illucidate please !

dogbreath1 20:04 03 May 2005

Onboard sound is usually pretty poor. Sound Cards give better repro but you can bypass both if you don't mind spending £50 on a dedicated cable and d.a.c. which enables hdd stored music files to be played directly through a hifi. click here and click here for free downloads of audio file format convertors.

six-h 19:29 04 May 2005

thanks for your advice, again surf control on the college pc's prevents me from looking at the sites you link to.
going back to my original entry, 1) why cann't pinnacle cleanplus and DBpoweramp utilise the wma codec installed with my copy of media player to read these files? they will only accept either mp3 or wav files. 2) will the threat of deactivating their mp3 encoding after 20 uses or 1 month actually come to pass? Bearing in mind that I still have the download on disc, and could presumeably re install if it does, would I then get a further trial period??

dogbreath1 16:56 05 May 2005

I've used dBpowerAMP for ages. And it does everything with .wma files no problem, whether it be convert, rip or burn. In respect of using the prog. in a succession of trials, I suspect that you can't. It's only the recent versions though that have put a limit on mp3 use. See if you can obtain a copy of a prior version...can't think from who though;). Can't tell you much about MP9, I've got used to using Winamp click here which is a superb free player and works with dBpowerAMP without conflict. Similarly with Pinnacle, I can't tell you much about this suite of products (save to say I didn't like the burning application so I installed Nero which is fine).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?