Looking at building a new custom pc - advice pls

taurous 19:24 16 Aug 2008

Hello all, im looking at building a new custom pc and like the look of going with click here .. Now the problem I have is what to get. I have tried looking at lots of reviews and there are lots of things that I like. Now I want the PC for gaming, hardcore gaming. I generally buy the newest and most recent games.

Please can you answer this question?

1) I really like the look of the gx280 by nvidia, though the 4870 gx2 looks good aswell. Is it best to go with nvidia or amd (if i am not worried about price)

If you check what I am looking at buying can you tell me if this build is alright and if there are any recommendations. Thankyou

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz 12Mb Cach, 4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 - 4 x 1GB, 1000GB SATA Hard Drive single drive, , Windtunnel Extreme Cooling, Tagan 900w U33 - Force II Series - Dual Fan, GeForce GTX 280 1024MB GDDR3, QCE - MSI P7N Diamond - 1333FSB-DDR2 1066x4 SLI-nForce 780i, 2 x DVD+/- RW - 20X (pioneer 115D), No Floppy Disk Drive, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 PCI 7.1, Intergrated Monitor Speakers, , Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM), No Additional Software, , Free Carriage, 2 Year Labour Warranty Upgrade

Jim_F 23:24 16 Aug 2008

If its performance rather than value for money then I think NVidia still has the edge: click here

I would strongly recommend a backup solution - eg an external usb drive and backup software - either with software like Paragons or the Vista Ultimate image backup.

I'd also recommend a USB floppy drive in case you need to update the bios or run test programs.

Jim_F 23:26 16 Aug 2008

Forgot to mention - you may want to consider a DVD drive that can at least read BlueRay !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache