Look2me infection

rig2 13:27 28 Mar 2006

CW shredder found Look2me on my pc. It claimed to have got rid of it, but it doesn't go away. I gather it's not easy to get rid of, but is there a way?

I'm not particularly computer-literate & can only understand plain English! I'm currently using CW shredder, Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware blaster, Microsoft anti-spyware as well as AVG and Zone Alarm. Also tried X-cleaner without success.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

NewRoyWidd 14:40 28 Mar 2006

You might like to try this click here
I've just found it on Google,so can't say if it's effective or not.No doubt you'll get more solutions from the forum too.

rawprawn 14:50 28 Mar 2006

Have you tried running CW Shredder in safe mode? (Keep tapping F8 when booting to get into safe mode)

rawprawn 14:55 28 Mar 2006

click here scroll down and download Look2me destroyer. It is probably only like the suggestion from NewRoyWidd, but I would try his link or this before using safe mode.

NewRoyWidd 17:54 29 Mar 2006

Any updates rig2?Did you manage to remove it,or are you still having problems?
NRW.

rig2 17:01 01 Apr 2006

Tried these. Look2Me destroyer said it had removed it, but when I scanned again with CW shredder it said it was still there!!

VoG II 17:04 01 Apr 2006

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

rig2 21:46 01 Apr 2006

Thanks folks, but still no luck. Ewido didn't do the job.

I tried following manual removal instructions (with difficulty) from click here - it mentioned that in the System directory - System 32 (I'm on XP) Look2me files are likely to be msg****dll where *** are letters or numbers.

There is a file there - msgina.dll - I haven't deleted it as I'm afraid I'll do some damage. How can I tell if it is ligitimate or not? Can anyone advise? Thanks.

VoG II 21:49 01 Apr 2006

click here

Download HJT click here and post your log on the Malware Removal Forum (NOT HERE) click here

rdave13 21:53 01 Apr 2006

Try closing system restore then run CWshredder. Reboot and start system restore then scan again with CW shredder.

rig2 21:10 03 Apr 2006

Thanks everybody. I'm currently following VoG's advice & posted the HJT log on the Malware Removal Forum. Someone's working his way through it with me. Will let you know how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?