Longer range wireless network adapter

binweld 12:26 30 Mar 2013

Hello all,

I recently got a new sky+ box so I could connect it to the anytime service and watch programmes on demand, unfortunately the internet connection in my house is in pretty much the farthest room away in my house. I bought a cheap vonets wireless adapter off ebay but it doesn't seem to connect properly/reliably through the distance and walls, etc.

Could anybody please recommend a decent wireless adapter with a longer range that would help me connect properly? Or is there another way to connect without wires?

Many thanks in advance

mgmcc 16:14 30 Mar 2013

One option would be to use wireless Homeplugs where you would connect a Homeplug by ethernet cable to the Sky box. A second "wireless" Homeplug would then be plugged in at the remote location and you'd connect wirelessly to it there.

binweld 17:09 30 Mar 2013

Ok, thanks very much I will order one and see how well it works. Is there much difference in terms of quality because there is quite a wide price range.

onthelimit1 17:40 30 Mar 2013

I've used similar to these for extending the wireless range with good results.

Sobeit 12:09 31 Mar 2013

Bin. PC World do a 500mbps powerline adapter. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tp-link-tl-pa511kit-500-mbps-powerline-adapter-kit-16842019-pdt.html with apparently excellent results and cheaper too!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?