longer cable

orihuela 17:07 05 Nov 2006

Thank you to everyone who has helped me out the last couple of days. But I've another question. I have BT Broadband and they say I can connect 2 machines with the equipment they have provided. I want to network my laptop and a new desktop pc, but the cable they have provided is only about 1 metre long. Its blue with a USB one end and a square shape end the other. I presume this just goes from the router to the new computer.

Can someone tell me the name of this cable, and can I buy a new one about 10m long. Why is the BT cable so short?

Strawballs 17:13 05 Nov 2006

It sounds like the one supplied is an adapter cable USB to Lan to extend it you will need a cat5

anskyber 18:25 05 Nov 2006

Can I assume you have connected your PC to the modem by the Ethernet connector which is frequently yellow in colour?

The cable you describe sounds like a USB to modem cable the square end going into the modem and of course the other into a PC or laptop.

Yes you can get longer ones. I bought two of these click here for my laptop in another room and the total extension is 10 metres, it works perfectly.

Other general extension or longer cables are available from many places but I was happy to buy from here.click here

oldbeefer2 10:33 06 Nov 2006

If your computers have LAN sockets (the same rectangular shape as those on the modem), would you not be better using an ethernet cable which, I have been told, is faster than USB connected ones? They are available in a huge range of lengths - I have just installed one 25mtrs long.

Z1100 14:10 06 Nov 2006

Ask them to find one that is longer.

Job Done! And we don't guess for you.
Hanx!
K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?