a long term problem with installing programmes

lofty29 20:52 27 Aug 2008

Hi, I have asked for help before on this problem, but non of the advice worked, so here goes again rather a long story I am afraid.
I used to have CA security suite(paid for), but on an update screwed up pc totally, eventually managed to unistall after about two days.since then when I try to install bbc iplayer, google earth, and now skype. I get the following message."user system intitiated an install for ca personal firewall, that user will need now need to run" only option OK. next message "an installation of ca personal firewall is suspended, you must undo changes made by install to continue". If you say OK then pc locks up, if you say cancel the programme installation is cancelled. I have tried regedit, reg cleaners, ccleaner, cannot find any trace of CA. hope someone has a new bright idea.XP pro, zone alarm free,sbot s&d, spyware blaster.

matthew-293741 20:55 27 Aug 2008

if it has been dragging on this long...cant you just cut your losses and re-format?

i know its a bind...but so's not being able to install?

sorry for my sincere lack of help!

matt

woodchip 21:01 27 Aug 2008

How have you tried uninstalling CA?

woodchip 21:05 27 Aug 2008

Right Click My Computer\Manage\Services can you see CA in Cervices? if so disable it by double click and change to Disabled. Thats first step

lofty29 21:19 27 Aug 2008

Lucco51
would loose some programmes if I did this as I no longer have the disk's, and it only effects certain things as specified.
wwodchip
spent two days unistalling CA but something is obviously still left there,tried looking in services no sign of CA

brundle 21:43 27 Aug 2008

Have a look with Autoruns; click here

Don't delete anything, just untick it.
Reboot when done and see what happens.

Set a restore point before changing anything. Hit F8 at boot up and choose Last Known Good config if you change too many things and stop your system booting.

woodchip 23:07 27 Aug 2008

Have you checked Regedit for CA

lotvic 23:41 27 Aug 2008

go to Computer Associates website click here and click on 'log on' do not fill any boxes in just click on 'log on as guest' and there is a walk through with pictures of registry of entries that you need to manually delete. Check that you have done them all.

Tiny url if the above didn't come out right click here

lofty29 09:19 28 Aug 2008

brundle
will have a look, but I am no expert, just self taught.
woodchip
been all through regedit.
lotvic
none of the links worked.

CA was fine for several years until they brought out a new version 2008, then a total disaster, apparently a lot of people had major problems. I wish companies would work on the priciple that if is not broken do not fix it.

Can anyone suggest a top line reg repair and cleaner that really works and does not foul up your pc, I have read that a lot of them do more harm than good.

[email protected] 09:56 28 Aug 2008

see link(if it works).Contains a caa iss uninstaller for 2007/2008 versions,you may need to reinstall first.
click here
Also worth a Try with Revo uninstaller
click here
Reg cleaners ive used with no issues for me
winaso
click here
(clears 10 issues at a time)unless paid for
and eusing reg cleaner
click here

lofty29 15:39 28 Aug 2008

Hi Raven
tried both programmes, cleaned about 400 entries,but dammed cafirewall problem is still there, only seems to effect certain installations,driving me nuts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?