A long standing space & speed problem...

Graphicool1 19:12 11 Sep 2010

WinXP SP3 IE7

Fresh from a success story, where buteman got my PC back on track. I thought I would ask for some further help...

my graphics programme is extremely sluggish. It always has had problems. When I bought it, it was back in the day that Win95 was the latest OS.

There have been - so called - updated versions since. But they never contained anything better than this already has.

'Microsoft Picture It!'

However, as I said, it has always had a major drawback. It is constantly telling me that I haven't got enough memory for it to work and/or save. It's megga slow, sluggish and often hangs when saving or tells me it's saved when it hasn't.

If anyone has any little tweaks that I can try, I'd be pleased to hear them. Microsoft have long since ceased supporting it. G1 ¦¬)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 11 Sep 2010

Sounds like problems with disk space / virtual memory. make sure the drive you have the virtual memory on has at least 12% free.
Plus virtual memory Right click MY Computer - select properties - Advanced tab - Performance -
advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a different drive (if you have one), click
custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory
= set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the
PC to crash (restart).

Graphicool1 13:43 12 Sep 2010

"It is constantly telling me that I haven't got enough memory for it to work and/or save. It's megga slow, sluggish and often hangs when saving"

It was saying and doing this, when I first bought and put it on a New Win95 PC, which I updated. By adding the max RAM it could take. It still acted the same?

Since then I bought a WinXP, built to my specifically, as a graphics and music machine by MESH. That was over 6 years ago.

I installed 'Microsoft Picture It!', guess what...
Not enough memory. I added more RAM, added another HD, with 37 GB free, for it to operate in and set my virtual memory to 2920 MB. Whatever I do, nothing changes with 'Picture It!'

Graphicool1 14:39 12 Sep 2010

Just doesn't seem to see the memory or it's reading GB as MB?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:12 12 Sep 2010

I have Picture it 10 as part of works suite never had a memory problem.

tried uninstall reinstal of he program?

Graphicool1 16:01 12 Sep 2010

Loads of times on the windows 95 PC and a few on WinXP. I've also done the 'Bootstraps' install and looked at the programme files. Not that I'm a hacker. But Microsoft weren't interested and have long since given up on it, no support. I just thought that there must be a glitch in the programming, making it read the available space wrong?

I have to go off line and shut down all other programmes before I can use it. If I receive an email while it's on, it freezes or goes into megga slo mo. Yesterday when it was saving something, it paused and a pop-up appeared on the screen from the Firewall. It said 'Picture it' is connecting to Microsoft Internet Explorer. I wasn't even on line, so I said OK and Pic It started up again.

This is the thing, when it thinks it's run out of space/memory? It tells me to close down all other programmes and empty the temp files. So I now make sure everything is closed down and emptied before I start. But it makes no difference, it still says the same thing.

I wondered if the problem is that it is that for some reason it's trying to use the IE's Temp Folder to work in. So I thought, if I could give that Temp folder 3-4 GB's of space I wouldn't have this problem any more!? The trouble with this is when I tried this the max I'm allowed to give it is 1024 MB's. Unless you know somewhere else I can change this, like in the registry?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?