Logon Process Initialization Failure

bredagh 15:19 21 Aug 2007

My laptop is installed with Windows Vista Home Premium and I recently installed Norton Internet Security 2007. However when I turned on the computer the next day before the normal logon screen appears where I enter my password a black screen appears with a small error window stating:
Logon Process Initialization Failure
"Interactive logon process initialization has failed. Please consult the event log for more details."

I have no idea how to solve this problem, I cannot even get into the system to uninstall the ptential cause of the problem which is the Norton software

malgall 15:25 21 Aug 2007

in xp you can boot up in safe mode i asume vista can do the same

rawprawn 15:30 21 Aug 2007

Can you get into Safe Mode (Keep Tapping F8 on booting) and try system restore from there.

bredagh 16:03 21 Aug 2007

I have tried to boot in Safe mode but exactly the same problem occurs.
Also when I tapped F8 it gave me 11 options to chose from:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
Last known good configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

I also tried the "Last known good configuration" but the problem occurred too!

rawprawn 17:06 21 Aug 2007

Can you boot from your Vista CD?

bredagh 17:14 21 Aug 2007

I don't think so as I upgraded from XP to Vista using an Acer Upgrade DVD so I don't think it would work. Also it would have to be through the 11 options listed above I think?

rawprawn 17:32 21 Aug 2007

Sorry I don't know of any other ways, this is an abject example of failing to back up. When you get sorted out I suggest the first thing you do is to get a good backup program such as Acronis True image. I do not mean to be unkind, and maybe someone with more skill than me can suggest another work around.
Good Luck

rawprawn 17:34 21 Aug 2007

Another thought. You may have a recovery partition on your Acer, but that would take you back to factory settings.

zarobian 17:40 21 Aug 2007

From the 11 options select the first option 'safe mode'. When startup is complete,go to Accessories-->System tools and then select System Restore. When system restore is up select the restore point prior to the installation of Norton Anti Virus.

'Z'

bredagh 17:43 21 Aug 2007

what do u mean by recovery partition?

bredagh 17:45 21 Aug 2007

thats the thing zarobian, even when I attempt safe mode the same problem occurs....the startup does not complete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?