Logon Problem

JimT 20:08 16 Apr 2006

I have a laptop running W XP Pro and I disabled the only two users (don't ask !).

Now I can't get past the logon screen even using Administrator in safe mode(which I thought was supposed to be a default).

As I can't get in I can't get to command prompt and so can't use the control passwords2 facility.

What I can't understand is why can't I get in as I did when I bought the computer and switched on for the first time, and before I set any users?

Jimt

VoG II 21:16 16 Apr 2006

1- Boot from the Windows XP CD

2- Press Enter to start setup

3- Press F8 for the license agreement

4- When you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so

5- Let it run through and wait until it reboots and is installing devices then press shift F10 to open a command prompt

6- Type in nusrmgr.cpl at the command prompt and press Enter - this should open up the user accounts applet

7- Select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again

8- Let the inplace upgrade finish

JimT 21:50 16 Apr 2006

Thanks VoG, but before I do - does this wipe out all settings?

JimT

VoG II 21:54 16 Apr 2006

No it is a repair - settings retained.

When you've done this and all is well again, I would be interested to know how you managed to delete all user accounts accidentally. Just for future reference as a conversation piece.

VoG II 21:55 16 Apr 2006

Um well, user settings not retained, for obvious reasons.

JimT 11:32 17 Apr 2006

VoG

I got into Recovery Console.

It then asks me what installation I want to log onto and shows - 1. C:\WINDOWS

When I pressed 1 it asks for administartor password!!

JimT

JimT 11:39 17 Apr 2006

VoG

I should mention that I have a Fujitsu laptop and am using the Recovery CD supplied with it. Does that make a difference?

JimT

Taff™ 12:01 17 Apr 2006

Yes I think it does. You need an XP CD to do as VoG™ suggests. VoG™ will confirm I think.

Try this in the meantime. Boot the computer in normal mode. When you get to the log in scren I suppose you just have the administrator account and that asks for a password. Have you tried all the obvious one` such as (without quotation marks) "admin" "administrator" Upper Case options as well?

At the log in page try the three fingered salute TWICE (Ctrl+Alt+Delete - Note Twice) this should also bring up the hidden administrator account - try for no password first then the other options as before.

JimT 13:12 17 Apr 2006

Taff

Tried various password options.

The C+A+D twice didn't work.

JimT

remind 13:14 17 Apr 2006

Reset password; click here
Boot disk or boot CD

JimT 16:56 17 Apr 2006

Any other ideas anyone?

JimT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires