Logins

VoG II 22:43 07 May 2004

Just a stupid question really, not life threatening.

When you boot up a Windows 98 machine it takes you straight to the box where you have to enter user name and password.

On a Windows 2000 or XP machine you have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to the login screen.

Why?

stalion 22:47 07 May 2004

windows xp loads to the login screen!!!

VoG II 22:50 07 May 2004

XP professional loads to a screen that says press ALT+CTRL+DEL to enter your password. I am not dreaming, it does. So does Windows 2000.

Quiller. 23:00 07 May 2004

I think windows 98 assumes that they will be more than one user and waits till the machine is setup before other users can register.

There have always been questions here on how can the log on screen be disabled.

May be with 2000 and X\P. They have taken that into account and if only one person registers on setup the log on screen does not appear. If a guest or extra administrator account is enabled then the log on screen will appear and passwords would be required.

So if a single user would like to add more security to there operating system, all they would have to do is create a second ( spoof) administrator or user and the log on screen would automatically appear. If both select passwords for there accounts then this would block the casual user from gaining entry to the computer.

Quiller. 23:03 07 May 2004

Please excuse my lack of manners in the last post, as I forgot to address you.

Are you the only user on these operating systems?

stalion 23:05 07 May 2004

sorry i am useing xp home

VoG II 23:07 07 May 2004

W2K - No - hundreds of users.

W XP - no - tens of users.

I'm not questioning the need for a password. Why CTRL+ALT+DEL to enter it?

Forum Editor 23:12 07 May 2004

are running Windows XP Professional, and all of them load to a login screen. Each machine has an Administrator account and no others - guest accounts are turned off.

Quiller. 23:16 07 May 2004

I have 2000 on a server and also run X\P pro. If there is more than one user the log on screen appears automatically.

Bit baffling this. Wild guess is secondary logon ticked in msconfig \ services? Don't know fully what it is but it sounds right. Mine is ticked.

VoG II 23:18 07 May 2004

Thank you FE (and others).

Obviously, mine doesn't and what started as a "boredom" query has now turned into a witch-hunt - I am now determined to turn off this three fingered salute nonsense.

Thanks again all.

Quiller. 23:21 07 May 2004

Secondary logon, found this from help files.

"To start the Secondary Logon service
Open Services.
In the Name column, click Secondary Logon.
On the Action menu, click Start.
Notes

To open Services, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.
The Secondary Logon service allows you to run programs (*.exe), saved Microsoft Management Console (MMC) consoles (*.msc), shortcuts to programs and saved MMC consoles, and Control Panel items as an administrator, even while you are logged on to your computer as a member of another group, such as the Users group or the Power Users group.
By default, the Secondary Logon service starts automatically when the system starts. For more information about how to configure startup options for services, see Related Topics.
The runas command allows a user to run specific tools and programs with different permissions than the user's current logon provides. For more information about this command, see Related Topics. "

Well thats not it. lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?