Login to Pcadvisor

Pita BT 18:12 06 May 2007

I am on AOL and have tried several times to login to Pcadvisor. Having done so I am still presented with the same page with the login boxes still at default.
There is also no welcome for me or a means of logging off. I go to forums and it tells me that to contribute to the forums I need to login or register as a member.
So I fire up Firefox and try there. Successful login with welcome and able to post to this forum.
Also when I login using firefox it tells me that my last visit was the time that I last tried logging in with AOL.
Has anyone any idea what might be going on?
Regards to all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:57 06 May 2007

Perhaps your AOL security settings are too high for this site.

woodchip 20:12 06 May 2007

Check your Firewall is not stopping it. Is there one built into Aol?

Nosmas 21:17 06 May 2007

I seem to remember experiencing a similar problem some time ago, and I think the problem was caused by clicking on the Log out (top left corner of window) which I suspect removed the cookie which enables the PCA site to recognise a member. If you do not click on Log out when you are finished and just click on the X (top right of window) to close the window, your details will be remembered next time you open a PCA web page.

chippy+ 21:23 06 May 2007

i had the same thing happen this morning my restricted sites in security had pcadvisor in the box i had to remove it
Chippy

Pita BT 23:30 06 May 2007

Thanks for your responses, folks.

Nosmas.....
Unfortunately, even if that was the problem I cannot log in using AOL so I cannot click on the X instead of Logout. I couldn't click logout anyway because it isn't there.

Chippy+ ......
I have checked my restricted sites and PCAdvisor is not there. In any case, I am at present using IE to login and access forums, and AOL uses IE for the browser, and if it was security settings I would not be able to do this.

woodchip......
Firewall is not stopping it. Using Zonealarm as I have always done. No other firewalls active. Have disabled Zonealarm and the problem remains. All built AOL security facilities are disabled and have always been.

Fruit Bat /\0/\......
Please see reply to Chippy+

Forum Editor 23:55 06 May 2007

clicking on your username when you are logged in, and then ticking the box that keeps you logged in?

That will enable the site to set a cookie that remembers you are logged in. It's worth a try.

Pita BT 01:07 07 May 2007

Hi. Yes that has been done for Firefox, Netscape, and IE. Can't do it on AOL because that is precisely the problem. It will not log in. At least it falls back to the login page after I attempt to login. I may be logged in as far as PCAdvisor is concerned but the page here on AOL does not show me logged in and will not allow me any activity except to view Forums, which I can do when not logged in anyway.

Pita BT 01:22 07 May 2007

OK. Thanks.
I logged in using IE, took the tick out of the box that I had previously put in at your suggestion, and shut down. I restarted and ticked again the box you suggested. It worked, although I have no idea why.
I have previously had no problems logging in using AOL and have never had that box ticked.
Anyway, thanks again. No matter how it worked, it did.

Thanks to all the other folks who responded. It is much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?