Logging on to a windows 2003 server locally

Ed 00:33 27 Apr 2004

Hi,

I am fortunate enough to have a MSDNAA copy of windows 2003 (the joys of being a CompSci student!), and have made a nice roaming desktop network so everyone can log on from any win XP computer and get the same desktop and settings (except the wallpaper doesn't change - if you know why, please tell me!)

The problem with this setup is that it seems to be impossible to let any non-administrators log on to the server locally. This is presumably a nice security consideration, however, I am planning on copying this network set up for a friend of mine's office, and the server needs to also act as a workstation.

Does anyone know if it is possible to let users logon locally to the server without giving them admin rights?

Thanks very much,
Ed

Ed Jellard 00:50 27 Apr 2004

Ok, with more searching, I have found a link that should solve my problem -

click here

Except for some reason, I cannot add a user or group to "Allow logon locally" - I am logged on as the administrator, so I would have thought that I should be able to do most things - any ideas?

Thanks again!

Ed Jellard 01:04 27 Apr 2004

With a bit of fiddling, I have solved my problem.

Instead of running 'gpedit.msc' as mentioned in the website, I had to run 'Domain Controller Security Policy' from Administrative Tools, then follow the instructions on the website. This let me add/remove users or groups.

I did find a delay of maybe 30seconds between changing the property to actually being able log on locally.

Sorry for filling up a post, and solving it myself - I have replied to 'spread the knowledge'!

Ed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?