logging on takes several attempts

scruffbucket 20:18 24 May 2004

Have new xp professional for home use. Takes several attempts to access freeserve and long time between dialling and connecting(or not). Eventually goes through. Old Win98 computer works first time every time. Phone bill shows dozens of 5p connection charges of several seconds only!! I thought xp would be the dogs ***.
Terry

pharte 21:01 24 May 2004

Mine's been doing the same for a good few weeks now, it will also log on and be very slow and disconnect after a few minutes.

If yours is doing it then I'm happy it's not a problem at my end.

I'm tempted to wait and see if it gets any worse or (God forbid) sorts itself out.

Welcome to the "wanadoo" club.

Fruit Bat 21:02 24 May 2004

Check the wannado web site for connection problems you are probably not dialling an uptodate number you need to download and install the connection kit.

time between retrys can be set to a shorter time in your modem proerties page.

pharte 22:24 24 May 2004

trying to get help from wanadoo is like stirring treacle.........then you get a message stating "unavailable at this time"........just give me a new number to dial is all I ask.

hugh-265156 22:33 24 May 2004

try plugging your modem directly into the main phone socket and dont use extension leads or sockets if you can.

ask bt etc to check your phone line out if its no better.

pharte 22:49 24 May 2004

have tried BT not too long ago,.....try telling a bangladeshi what you want,.....if it's not on their list they are totally stumped as to what to do.

I have 3 x phone lines into my house and the problem lies with wanadoo.

gimmie cable or anything what will work to a good standard.

hugh-265156 23:44 24 May 2004

"I have 3 x phone lines into my house and the problem lies with wanadoo"

have you actually tried using the main box without an extension or have you just made your mind up and refuse to believe that the problem could be at your end re hardware or settings?

"try telling a bangladeshi what you want"

i find having a little bit of courtesy is reciprocated when dealing with support staff. ethnic origin doesnt play a factor in product knowledge.most "foreigners" speak better english than us and are extremely polite in my experience.

they do not read minds or have magic wands.

scruffbucket 07:52 28 May 2004

Thanks for the replies but you are not reading the Q. i have an old machine, the one I am using now, and have no problems logging on. Prroblem is not Wannado. Any XP prof experts out there? I suspect its a network setting trying to work or something similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?