Logging Off

peterleemaxwell 14:39 30 May 2003

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else had the problem I have at the moment and could give advice (O.S. XP Home). Having four 'users', it's when I go to close down and log off. It goes normally, darkens the screen, but will not work. 'Switch User' works fine. I have to do it via the 3 buttons 'Alt+Ctrl+Delete' (Works Task Manager), and that works fine. How do I re-establish the link for the button? Hope I get an answer.
Thanks,
Lee

AndySD 15:17 30 May 2003

Try the system file checker first. You may need the xp cd.

click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

peterleemaxwell 16:54 30 May 2003

Thanks AndySD, I'll give it a try. I think you have helped me in the past, for which I am very grateful.

peterleemaxwell 18:02 30 May 2003

Tried it but no improvement. I really didn't want to re-install but may have to. I'll keep going until something else goes and then put a fresh windows back on. Thanks anyway for your help.

spikeychris 18:10 30 May 2003

Peter does this happen only when you want to log off? >> as apposed to close down or restart

peterleemaxwell 19:55 30 May 2003

Hi SpikeyChris,
It happens every time I go 'Start/Log off' for my user. The 'Switch User' button still works,
as does the on when you press the 3 buttons to get the Windows Task Manager. I press to log off and it does. As this is a 'work-a-round' I can still operate, but would like to try to find if I could re-introduce this buttons action. It could be well hidden within Windows. Thanks for youe input.

spikeychris 20:22 30 May 2003

Peter, had a good ferret around and can't find anything concrete. Have you installed SP1 as this claims to fix similar problems..

You can also view the event viewer to see whats happening, not so sure how to access XP home's event viewer, is it listed on progs admin tools? if not

1. click Start, click Control Panel, double-click
Administrative Tools, double-click Event Viewer and select System for
system errors or Application for application errors. Look for Error in
the Type column and double click on Error to reveal a Description of the
error.

2. Part of the Description of the error will include a link, which you can double click for further information.

3. For some errors you will find "+ Related Knowledge Base Article",
which if double clicked takes you to the Knowledge Base Article
containing a suggested solution.

Chris

peterleemaxwell 20:47 30 May 2003

Hi SpikeyChris,
Looked where you suggested, WoW, never know about that area. There is a lot of error signs.
I look through them+study. Thanks very much for your help. Without people as helpful as yourself
we would all have a lot more problems. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?