Aol Hater 11:10 02 Jul 2003

how do i log in as the /root in mandrake 9? when i start it i am only given one option (my name) and no option to log in as /root, however if i need to do something that requires /root access then i am prompted for my password, but this only happens in wizard type progs, when i need to write to a file pppoe.conf for example i am told i dont have write permission, so how can i log in as /root?

thanks

Tesman 11:44 02 Jul 2003

Two ways to do it - if you want root to be added to the login screen, open the Control Center (Start > Configuration), go to System, Login Manager, Administrator Mode (type in your root password here), Users, and uncheck the box for root in the Hidden Users part.

You can also open a terminal and type "su" without the quotes, enter your root password and open the file from there with a text editor such as emacs or kedit. Try the command "kedit etc/ppp/pppoe.connect"
(again, no quotes).

Tesman 11:48 02 Jul 2003

I'm assuming the pppoe.conf file is something to do with setting up a broadband connection, which I know nothing about, being a mere dialup user. The command I gave was only a guess - you'll probably have to adjust it to suit. The principle remains the same, though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie