nora123 12:58 17 Oct 2006

A few weeks ago I tried removing the password required at the start of the log on as I was the only one using the pc. I’d read that I had to type “______ password2” (forgot the first bit) into the run box and then uncheck a box in the user accounts screen that was displayed. Having done this and rebooted I realised that I had lost all my settings e.g. shortcuts, favourites, everything. I was obviously now in a new profile - not what I wanted. I tried to reverse the procedure so that my profile would return but I couldn’t get my profile back when I booted up. In an attempt to fix it I think I’ve made a mistake by applying a password to the administrator profile which has caused further problems. When I’d booted up in the new profile I went to user accounts in control panel and selected use XP logon (or something like that).Now when I logon , a logon message comes up stating “the system could not lo you on. Make sure your user name and domiain are correct, then type your password again. Letters must be typed in the correct case”. When I click ok, the XP logon screen comes up with my original profile button to be selected. I click this and all is fine again. How do I remove the new logon message. Ideally I just want to log straight on to my current profile with no password required. Also the logon procedure takes much longer since I made the change?

VoG II 13:12 17 Oct 2006
  nora123 16:45 17 Oct 2006

When I had unchecked the “users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” option previously, all my settings were lost when I re-booted. It was as if I had just installed Xp for the first time. All programs I opened acted as if it was the first time i‘d opened them and all my favourites were missing? Why does this happen?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?