Locking files & folders in Windows 7

tallboy 18:21 09 Dec 2009

When my new PC was set up by my supplier (Eclipse Computers) my personal files folders were on drive C: and were in a 'padlocked' folder, so that other users who logged on could not see them.

For ease of backing up, I have now created a new data partition and have moved all my data files to this using the 'Move' function in the Properties / location tab. However, the folders & files are now viewable by all users.

How do I restore the 'padlock' to the moved folders / files? (i.e. make them so only I can view them.)

I can do it on my old XP machine, but so far I haven't found a way to do it in Windows 7. (I was hoping to be able to do it via the security tab, but I can't see a way to do it.)

If it can be done, please let me know.

Thanks

Tallboy

GaT7 18:33 09 Dec 2009

Can't think of this feature being natively present in XP (unlike Vista/7 click here), but I use the very capable & free TrueCrypt to do this click here. G

tallboy 20:41 09 Dec 2009

Thanks for the quick response Crossbow7.

The feature wasn't native in XP - you have to do some 'juggling' in safe Mode and then return to Normal Mode (See click here).

I ran through the article from the link you gave and noted that 'Deny' takes precedence over 'Allow' In my window there are four types of users:

Authenticated Users
SYSTEM
Administrators
Me (as User)

If I 'Deny' Authenticated users won't that also Deny me? (Since I will need to be Authenticated to be logged on)

Obviously I can't set the others to Deny. If Authenticated Users covers everyone else except me, that that should do it. Please clarify. (If you know that is)

I also took a look at TrueCrypt. I'll use that for the most sensive data.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?