Locked out of XP

dms05 08:22 01 Nov 2007

I've been having problems with XP and it may be related to hal.dll. I would like to load a fresh copy from i386 but when I open XP I get to the point where I should be able to click on 'Start' or an Icon on my Desktop but no keys of mouse buttons have any action. Even Ctrl/Alt/Del doesn't produce any effect. Only the big red button works to close the system down (it's an Acer laptop).

I've tried Safe Mode in it's various options and the same effect occurs. No access.

Can I access the Command Line and (a) find hal.dl_ on either the HDD or CD and then unpack it (after renaming the original hal.dll to hal_backup.dll) and then rebooting?

€dstowe 08:27 01 Nov 2007

Are your keyboard and mouse wireless or connected via USB? If so, it could be the relevant drivers have not been loaded at that stage of bootup.

€dstowe 08:28 01 Nov 2007

Forget that - just seen it's a laptop.

Too early haven't had my full dose of tea yet.

Graham. 08:31 01 Nov 2007

If you have an XP CD, boot with that in the drive. You may need to change the boot order in bios.

dms05 08:35 01 Nov 2007

I only have the original Acer Recovery CD's and an old XP Upgrade installation CD from the days when I moved form W98! Booting from that doesn't have the same result as booting from a full install CD (I think!).

crosstrainer 08:44 01 Nov 2007

Do you have? If you press F2 on boot up in the most models, you can access the restore options from there.

dms05 08:47 01 Nov 2007

crosstrainer - interesting point, I'll have a look!

dms05 09:14 01 Nov 2007

I've checked my BIOS (Acer Aspire 5003WLMi) and it doesn't seem to offer access to Restore Points only D2D recovery.

I'm now tring to unpack hal.dl_ in my Linux partition and then transfer it to my XP partition but I can't find a Linux program that will unpack the dl_ file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?