Locked Myself Out.

Jonno131 12:23 13 Nov 2007

For reasons which escape me I decided yesterday to set up Windows to bypass the logon screen. (I'm the only user). I (thought) I followed the instructions in a Forum thread (Control Panel - User Accounts etc) but my PC crashed some time yesterday evening and I am asked for a password for the Administrator Account. The password I used during the procedure is not recognised so I cant get into Windows.Fortunately I recently created a Ubuntu boot CD so I can access all my data BUT:
1. Can I access the Windows Control Panel from Ubuntu to undo the damage or can I do anything in BIOS?
2. I have a full backup on a 2nd HD (using Genie Backup Manager), which I can access but I cant run the Restore under Ubuntu.
3. Can I access System Restore from Ubuntu?
4. As a last resort, will I be able to do a repair install and will the undo the damage?

Any other suggestions will be most welcome. (I've already had "If it aint broke dont fix it!"

Jonno

Devil Fish 14:04 13 Nov 2007

when you put the password in you should be presented with a box

user name type if your user name is showing change it to administrator

then input administrator password

if you have already done this apologies

Zion_Lion 14:20 13 Nov 2007

Also dont forget that if you have never changed the defaul system administrator account or created a password all you need to do is like Devil Fish said, change the name to Administrator but also leave the password field blank.

Zion_Lion 14:37 13 Nov 2007

Have you tried safe mode I cant remember if XP askes for the admin password like Server 2003 does.

Jonno131 21:58 13 Nov 2007

Thanks people. The above put me on the right lines - leaving the password box blank got me back in.

Yes it still asks for a password for Safe Mode.

Jonno

Zion_Lion 23:11 13 Nov 2007

No probs jonno131 and thank you for reminding me.
Don’t forget to close your post if you’re done though mate.
Regards ZL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?