Lock down me wireless network

mab9 19:27 17 Feb 2006

I have a belkin wireless router running on NTL my laptop is win xp my daughter has a laptop on win xp and want to lock them down I just don't know how to do this can someone tell me how to do this, or is there some software that can do it for me ,if so please help I have spent 2 weeks and just don't under stand how to do it.Yes but how do you enable WPA security when I do that the wireless won't work how do I enable the router and the PC!!

bremner 19:50 17 Feb 2006

You must set the WEP up on the Router with a password. This will generate a long string of numbers and letters. Copy that down.

Ensure that Broadcast SSID is also enabled.

On the PC right click on the Wireless Network icon and select "View All available networks"

You will see your netwrok in the list that appears as "A Secure Network". Select it and it will ask you to input the WEP key that you copied down above. Once you have done this you will connect to the network.

Go back to the router and disable "Braodcast SSID"

mab9 21:22 17 Feb 2006

How do I set up wep on the router!I know Isound thick but I do not know I went in to where I have the networks right clicked on them and then properties and now im lost!!!

ade.h 23:27 17 Feb 2006

I have not yet had the chance to investigate Belkin's standalone routers (as opposed to modem/routers) but the interface may well be similar.

Read my guide here click here and you may find it of some help if any of it is relevant to your router.

bremner 08:29 18 Feb 2006

What you have described is the same for my standalone Belkin Router

mab9 12:22 18 Feb 2006

Thanks ade.h that was easy when you know how cheers for your help

ade.h 17:08 18 Feb 2006

No problem! Happy to be of some help.

I have been working these security guides because there seems to be a strong demand for it from many wifi newbies.

Thanks to Bremner for confirming that it is applicable to the interface of the standalone routers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?