Lock up

midian 13:14 03 Jan 2006

Ive been getting random lock ups on some games esp FS2004, ill be flying for about 5 mins then it will just lock and i have to reset the pc. Its happend on HL2 and various others.

My set up is...

Amd 3800+ dual core (2.0 ghz) not overclocked
GA-K8NF-9 board, 1.0 gig 3200 ram
7800GT Graphics card 256 ram
160 Gig sata drive, dvd-rw, cd-rw
650w PSU

Ive tried taking the hardware acceleration down a notch but still locks up.

All my drivers are fully upto date.

007al 13:20 03 Jan 2006

Whats the temps on the card?What psu do you have?
And try this click here

midian 13:27 03 Jan 2006

The temp on the card never goes above 52 degrees which seems ok. My psu is a bog standard one but doesnt have a PCI-E power connector but has an adaptor with the 6 pin connector for the card and two normal power leads to connect to the psu

onthebog 13:41 03 Jan 2006

A friend of mine experienced a similar problem with HL2. He lowered the screen resloution and it cured it - something to try.

Also, it may seem crazy but when was the last time the inside of the PC was cleaned? If you have a particularly dusty environment, the amount of gunk which collects is alarming. This effectively insulates all the PC's components and stops fans and the like doing their job properly.
click here

007al 13:51 03 Jan 2006

Another thing,could be a bottleneck with the cpu.The 7800 is a fast,powerful card,and if you`ve got everything turned on,then the cpu may not be coping.The bog standard psu may not give a stable supply either.650W,should should easily cope,but only if its a decent one.Is it a Qtech by any chance?

midian 15:22 03 Jan 2006

Yes it is a Q-TEC psu,so would you recommend i change it for a better one? what would be the minimum wattage i could get away with?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:25 03 Jan 2006

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

007al 15:43 03 Jan 2006

I would,yes.But,without trying your system with a different psu,its hard to point the finger at just that.Do you have someone you can borrow one from to test?

007al 15:52 03 Jan 2006

click here
You can find others on the site.Try to get one with a dedicated PCI-E.Although i have the same one without PCI-E connectors(didnt make them when i bought it),it still works perfect

midian 12:04 11 Jan 2006

Ive been trying out all sorts of ideas on this problem i have and i think ive cracked it... Windows Firewall!!! ive disabled the Firewall and tried FS2004 with high detail, no lock up as such but did get the odd freeze frame but nothing to worry about, i also disabled my AVG anti virus program. I still feel there is some sort of bottleneck between the Graphics and the CPU surely they should work perfectly... Oh and ive recently got myself some decent ram Corsair value select ddr 400 which also helps, when i wne to replace the ram i found that one of the old sticks had alot of dust over the chips i wonder if that had something to do with it all.

One last thing, how do i get dual channel memory to work? ive got a matched pair of sticks now and not sure how to get dual channel working.

007al 12:19 11 Jan 2006

Dual channel should work automaticaly when two sticks of RAM are installed in the appropriate slots.Download this click here and you can check cpu,motherboard and RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?