Location of saved files in Word

hawthorn59 21:59 02 Jun 2004

Hi All

I save my files (say, words of songs etc) in My Documents/1My Docs/Lyrics. I want Word, when I go to save as..., to go straight to that location. I found the place where you set this default (I forget where now!) but it made no difference.

Any way of not having to click 4 or 5 times to save a file?

Thanks

KC

THE TERMINATOR 22:08 02 Jun 2004

Right click the word shortcut and from the resulting menu, choose properties. Click on the shortcut tab and in the box named, start in: type the location where you would like to save your files and they will be saved in that folder by default. Hope this helps.
TT

ventanas 22:08 02 Jun 2004

Tools\Options\File Locations tab, click modify and browse to where you want to save.

THE TERMINATOR 22:09 02 Jun 2004

In addition to the above don't forget to click on apply

hawthorn59 05:11 03 Jun 2004

I had already done this, but it doesnt work.
When I select 'save as' it automatically brings me to 'Desktop' first and I have to click on from there!

When setting this default, there was no 'apply' button; just 'ok'.

Thanks,
KC

Tog 07:15 03 Jun 2004

Are you sure you had "documents" highlighted when you changed the location. I've just changed it on mine with no probs.

hawthorn59 15:51 03 Jun 2004

I have solved the problem, I think. When I find lyrics of a song I want on the net, I copy it and paste into a word blank page. But this blank page is one I have on my Desktop, called Blank A4 (original..!). So it seems when I 'save as' it is saving to the original location of the file ie desktop.

I tried doing it to a NEW word doc and it saved it straight to mydocuments/1mydocs/. Then I saved a NEW word doc as a blank page (with margins as i need them etc) to the location I want, and sent a shortcut to desktop. Seems to work.

I would have thought though, when I was using 'save as' i was in fact creating a new document, and it should have saved to the desired location. Anyway, it works this way now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?