Location of E-mail folders in Windows 7 Live Mail

tallboy 22:09 22 Nov 2009

Does anyone know where Microsoft puts folders containing email messages for Windows Live Mail on a Windows 7 system?

On XP (and I believe Vista too) they used to be in a hiidden sub-folder of C:\Documents and Settings' - but Win 7 does not have any 'Documents and Settings' directory.

I need to move some email folders around and it will be a lot quicker to do it directly in the appropriate directory.

tullie 22:24 22 Nov 2009

Not sure what you mean because whenever i open mine all the folders are there on the page.

gazzaho 08:11 23 Nov 2009

I think he's looking for the local Live Mail Folder tullie I believe it's at

C:\Users\<Windows user account>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

The sub folders for you email accounts are in this folder.

tallboy 09:23 23 Nov 2009

Sorry my request wasn't too clear tullie, but gazzaho got it hole in one! (Thanks gazzaho)

The reason I wanted to access the folders directly is (in particular) to remove the confusion of having two In Boxes, two Sent Boxes, Two Draft Boxes etc - one set created by Windows Live when it was installed and the other as part of the Import set from my old PC. (Outlook Express)

I have now moved all the imported data into the respective folders that were created during the install. It was a lot quicker doing directly in Explorer than it would have been trying to do it via the Windows Live Mail user screen.

gazzaho 05:20 24 Nov 2009

When I migrated I just moved the contents from the respective folder to the new Live Mail folder from withing Live Mail, I just used Ctrl+A to select all items and dragged them to the respective folder, it only took a few seconds, I then deleted the empty import folders, again from inside Live Mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017