Locating suitable cooling fan AMD Socket A ?

freaky 18:58 03 Dec 2006

I have an older PC which has a AMD Athlon 1.4GHZ CPU with a Gigabyte GA-7DXR MOB.

On the box that contained the MOB it states: -

AMD 761/ VIA 686B
Socket A FSB 200/266 CPU.

I want to replace the CPU and Chipset Fans with something quieter and better.

I have searched a number of suppliers, but nobody appears to have Socket A in stock.

I did buy an Akasa CPU Fan from PC World which screwed directly into the existing heatsink, lovely fit but on booting Windows reported an error and shut down, so had to revert back to the old fan !

Eargasm 19:10 03 Dec 2006

Have a search on here.

click here

ed-0 19:12 03 Dec 2006
  Stuartli 19:31 03 Dec 2006

Or:

click here

I can only find a GA-7DX motherboard on the company's website, but it supports up to an Athlon XP 2600+ (Thoroughbred,.13u):

See:

click here

There are also Bios etc updates if required.

CPUs are 462 (Socket A)

Fan from:

click here

A firm I have dealt with several times in the past and run by a very knowledgeable owner.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:48 03 Dec 2006

Based on my own experience, I would recommend one of these click here

freaky 21:26 03 Dec 2006

Many thanks for your replies and links, will have to think further on which to buy.

What I don't understand is why Windows XP displayed a warning message, and shut down the PC after I installed the fan I bought from PCW.

The case was left open after I installed it, and when I rebooted the fan was running OK. Possibly it was drawing too much current ?

The cooling fan for the AMD 761/ VIA 686B chipset is the original, so that needs replacing as well.

I bought an Akasa Cool Blue Fan which was the correct size, but the power cable plug had a 3-pin female socket, the MOB had a 2-pin male socket so I still have that !

Bit complex but all replies would be appreciated.

ed-0 21:56 03 Dec 2006

your last post is a little unclear. Are you saying you have connected the cpu fan to the 2 pin header on the motherboard?

You need to connect it to the three pin header click here. It you could be that the motherboard has sent the wrong signal to windows, forcing it to shutdown.

Or have I read it wrongly?

freaky 09:30 04 Dec 2006

Sorry, my post was misleading.

The Alaska Cool Blue Fan with a 3-pin female socket was purchased to replace the original fan that cooled the Via 686B chipset. I did not attempt to fit it because it was 3-pin whereas the MOB was 2-pin.

The CPU fan that I fitted was 3-pin female to the MOB 3-pin male...which was correct, but it caused the PC to shut down.

Hope this information resolves your question.

keef66 09:35 04 Dec 2006

Let's go back a few posts. The Akasa fan you bought from PCW, was it a low speed, low noise one? Maybe there's a setting in bios which shuts things down if cpu fan speed is too low?

(Mind you, your mention of a 2 pin fan connector on the mobo suggests it doesn't have a speed sensor wire)

Are you sure the mobo doesn't have a 3 pin cpu fan connector?

keef66 09:49 04 Dec 2006

I have found the mobo manual on Gigabyte's site. It does have cpu fan speed detect and hence a 3 pin socket. Ah, just read your last post which must've appeared as I was typing my last one. Is there a setting in bios for min cpu fan speed?

Stuartli 10:58 04 Dec 2006

I have a Gigabyte-ULTRA PCU31-VH cooling fan on my Athlon XP 3200+ CPU - it's a big, heavy fan and features a bright blue LED light display (unseen fortunately!).

Its speed is controlled by the sensor and, most of the time, it is operating at its lower speed of less than 2,000rpm, although it can go up to 4,500rpm. The connection to the CPU is with a yellow 3-pin connector wire.

There is also a manual control available for varying the fan's speeds.

The manual mentions about checking the Bios for the range of operating speeds, but I've never had to make any Bios configuration changes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?