Local services disabled

Wrinkles 12:17 26 Nov 2007

Hi my mate brought his laptop to me. It would boot into XP (home edition) but was slow and apps would not start. I eventually found that the majority of "Local services" had been disabled, including plug'n'play. I went through the laborious process of resetting them all to the required automatic or manual and then ran AV, spyware and malware scans. the system came up clean. On reboot all the services I had reset had again been disabled.
Any ideas on what is doing this and how it can be rectified.

johnnyrocker 12:26 26 Nov 2007

might a system restore help?

johnny.

Wrinkles 12:39 26 Nov 2007

Probably but like so many people he has never backed up and getting his data off the drive will involve me removing his drive and connecting it to another system etc etc. Something I neither have the time or inclination to do, particularly as it is unpaid labour. A "repair" or "Over the top" install is my favourite option but neither he or I have a "Win XP Home edition" CD. Then there is no guarantee what ever is lurking there disabling the services will not survive and continue with it's task.

Wrinkles 12:41 26 Nov 2007

Oh! I should have added that clever dick turned off his system restore so he has no viable restore points.

Wrinkles 14:54 26 Nov 2007

Refresh

bof:) 15:47 26 Nov 2007

Hi Wrinkles, have you had a look in Event Manager to see if it give any error messages about Services being reset at bootup and possible causes?

Have you updated and ran all of your friends virus and malware programs plus something like Ccleaner?

If you have time, look in here?

click here

Wrinkles 19:29 26 Nov 2007

I ran all of his AV and antispyware/malware plus a few of my own. Event manager is disabled so no help there.
Anyway I have managed to transfer all his Data off the drive and done full restore back to factory settings. It has now booted up and all is well.
Thanks for assistance offered, it would have been nice to know what caused the problem if only for future reference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone