Local network and workgroups

ijit 10:34 02 Jul 2006

I don't understnad the difference between "local network" and "workgroup" (in Windows XP).

I have a (wireless) network of 3 computers at home, and have set everything up with a workgroup and file sharing. I then changed the workgroup of my laptop. On my laptop, when I clicked on "My Netork Places", I could access the shared folders on the other machines on the original workgroup (under Local Network), but if I clicked on "view workgroup computers" only the one would show - my laptop.

This seems to conflict with everything I read about setting up local networks, and the importance of setting the same workgroup name.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks

Nazzarenu Boy 11:30 02 Jul 2006

workgroup name is the name of the network in which the networked computers conect to that name. If they find another computer trying to connect to the network with the same name they will make a network between them.

Local network shows all the networks connected to the computer.

Hope that i was basic enaugh, so that you will learn about the differences

ijit 11:39 02 Jul 2006

Thanks for your help.

So what does "connected to the computer" mean, exactly? All three computers are connected (wirelessly) to a wireless router, not to each other. So does "local network" show all computers connected to the same router as mine?

mgmcc 12:03 02 Jul 2006

<<< On my laptop, when I clicked on "My Netork Places", I could access the shared folders on the other machines on the original workgroup (under Local Network), but if I clicked on "view workgroup computers" only the one would show - my laptop. >>>

Windows networking does support file sharing between multiple Workgroups, although it is generally suggested that you keep your networked computers within a single Workgroup. If you select "View Workgroup Computers", then it is logical that you will view only the computers within the group that the computer itself belongs to.

<<< So does "local network" show all computers connected to the same router as mine? >>>

The "local network" is the collection of devices that are physically connected. This includes computers, network hubs/switches, routers and modems, all of which are involved in the transmission of data between devices. All computers connected to your router should be able to communicate with one another, provided "File & Printer Sharing" has been enabled and any firewall software in the computers set up to allow access to the other computers in the network.

ijit 17:05 02 Jul 2006

That's great - thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?