Local loop and bundle

Halmer 11:09 17 Feb 2009

I had the hard sell BT man on yesterday trying to get me to move my calls to them from Pipex.

Best he could come up in the end to persuade me to move (everything else failed) was "yes but if you move to someone like Sky they use a local loop and bundle line which you don't really want".

Can anyone explain what this means in plain English please.

User-1229748 11:17 17 Feb 2009

to be honest i don't understand it really butclick here

anskyber 11:54 17 Feb 2009

The main problem for the consumer is that once you go to a local loop unbundled supplier it is much harder to leave that supplier later.

Stuartli 12:29 17 Feb 2009

The LLU scenario to which the BT representative is referring is the equipment installed by your ISP (along with many others) to handle your broadband and, if part of the package, your phone calls; it bypasses the BT equipment.

From the exchange, the normal BT line to your home takes over.

An LLU equipped ISP can provide much cheaper services for phone and broadband that BT, which is desperately trying to win back customers with new offers.

However, if you study BT's offers, you will realise that they fall far short of ISPs such as TalkTalk, yet cost the same or even more.

The BT rep is clearly trying to bamboozle you with fancy words and is being, to put it kindly, naughty.

Re changing from an ISP who has LLU equipment in your exchange, steps were taken a year or more ago to make the process much more simple and straightforward.

Halmer 16:30 17 Feb 2009

that's helpful to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?