Local Disk on Drive E

wee eddie 16:27 15 Jan 2005

Drive C appears to be unallocated.

MiniQ Bare bones from Jetway

How can I change the Drive allocation to C while I am using the drive being reallocated.

Maybe I should leave it.

If I try to install a USB drive, it is automatically allocated to C, and I am unable to Format it.

Completealias 17:00 15 Jan 2005

You could try using the computer magagement facilty in XP this is found in control panel / administrative tools / computer management. Select disk management for the left hane side then under the action menu / all tasks it lists change drive letter and paths. Before you give it a go I'd take a full backup just in case the worse happens

wee eddie 17:37 15 Jan 2005

Unfortunately it does not appear to be too keen to reallocate itself.

Graham ® 18:07 15 Jan 2005

You cannot (I believe!) change the drive letter of the system drive. You may have to re-install the OS.

VoG II 18:10 15 Jan 2005

click here
but may not work with the drive that Windows is installed on.

wee eddie 18:50 15 Jan 2005

The whole system works fine.

Except that!

If you plug in a new unallocated drive, it defaults to Drive C.

However the software is under the impression that the C Drive should not be formatted as Windows is installed on it.

This is obviously incorrect and I am trying to decide what I need to do to correct it, or to let sleeping dogs lie.

wee eddie 17:04 16 Jan 2005

Get it's maker to correct it? It's a local lad.

Or forget it?

Smiler 17:23 16 Jan 2005

I would definately take it bake to it's maker for correction as you could invalidate any warranty

Graham ® 17:34 16 Jan 2005

Yes, it must be corrected, or you will have loads of problems in the future. If you install new programs, they may default to the C drive, and fail to install 'cus you haven't got one.

wee eddie 12:18 17 Jan 2005

I am looking to access the risks involved in not changing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017