Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is

Ancient Learner 21:24 10 Aug 2005

Unplugged.

I keep getting this message, many times a day. When I do, my BB has disappeared. The BB use returns shortly afterwards but, this time, it is not announced. This together with this sites strangeness is sending me round the bend.

What does it mean, the message that is! Is it a Tiscali problem or a BT one.

DieSse 23:11 10 Aug 2005

The message normally means that your ethernet board has lost contact with the router.

I would try a new cable if I were you, as a first step.

Ancient Learner 16:56 11 Aug 2005

When you say a new cable. do I take it that you are refering to the one between the PC and the router which is a special blue USB cable, bearing in mind that there is also a cable between the BT extension socket spliter and the router.

pj123 17:34 11 Aug 2005

If you are using USB to connect to your router then you will get Ethernet network cable is unplugged. You need to go into your BIOS and disable your onboard LAN.

DieSse 18:51 11 Aug 2005

Try disconnecting each or the cables in turn - and see if one of the disconnects brings up the message.

It could also be a router/modem fault - or a dodgy power connection to the router/modem.

john-232317 19:36 11 Aug 2005

I kept getting that message when i had a loose phone line connection to the router. Bought a new box and since been OK.

Ancient Learner 20:20 12 Aug 2005

Apparently, due to the error message, it had to be either the cable from the router to the PC at fault, or, if the router appeared to be rebooting when I got the message, it was likely to be the router at fault.

The router did appear to be rebooting itself. A check on the makers web site showed an update available. Then it got really interesting, requiring me to log into the router and so on; a story in itself, scary, along with a password which was, er - - 'password'. Anyway I upgraded the router successfully, and, touch wood, so far, every thing seems a whole lot better and as solid as rock. But, of course, this may only be coincidence. I'll leave this open for a few days and then finally, I hope, confirm success.

Ancient Learner 15:46 21 Nov 2005

Been perfect ever since!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?