Local Area Connection - Limited or no connectivity

gajipop 21:11 15 Nov 2008

My mother purchased and had me install a VoIP system last month, due to her frequent overseas calls. After the installation of the VoIP system, numerous internet problems have arisen.
1. My old wireless connection bailed out, and I had to create a new one.

2. Internet connection is still tempermental, and subject to fits of bad connection.

3. When I try to play certain games, and also when my counsin trys to play "Maplestory"... The connection SOMETIMES lets me log on, and at other times, the log in screen freezes.

4. My Local area connection is still categorized as "Limited or no connectivity". I cannot repair the connection - It cannot renew my IP address. When I try to renew my IP through the Command portal, I receive the following message:

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . :169.254.3.135
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 71.129.234.214
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 71.129.234.213

Also, under the "Support" tab of the Local Area Connection Status window, it states that "This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

mgmcc 23:27 15 Nov 2008

There appears to be something that isn't set up correctly.

Your "Wireless Network Connection" has got your *PUBLIC* IP address - the address allocated by the ISP which should go to the router as its WAN (Wide Area Network or "Internet") address. The Router should then have allocated an IP address to the Wireless Network Connection using one of the ranges reserved for use in Local Area Networks, most commonly a 192.168.x.x address.

It isn't clear what your Local Area Connection (your "wired" ethernet connection) is actually connected to, but it is configured to get its IP address automatically and cannot access a DHCP server from which to get it. Therefore Windows has defaulted to allocating a "169.254" address, which will give the Limited or No Connectivity indication; it won't connect to the router or have internet access with that address.

gajipop 03:50 17 Nov 2008

I have the phone jack plugged into my DSL router's "DSL" port, with the "Ethernet" port connected to my WIreless Dlink router's LAN1 port. I have a cable connecting the wireless router's "Internet" port and the port on the back of my computer. LAN2 is connected to my VoIP system's ethernet port, and another phone jack is plugged into my VoIP system's "Phone 1" port, leading back into the wall.

Are there any errors with my wiring?

mgmcc 11:51 17 Nov 2008

I'm confused as to how you've got it all set up - it sounds as though you have *TWO* routers, which you are trying to daisy-chain.

If this is the case, your main router connects to the internet in the usual way - an ADSL enabled phone line if ADSL, or a "Cable Modem" / "Set-top box" if Virgin's Cable service.

The second router would be a "Cable/DSL Router", i.e. without a built-in Modem, and its WAN port would connect to one of the main router's LAN ports. Computers would then connect to the second router, either by ethernet cable to a LAN port or "wirelessly".

Question though: Why are you using two routers?

ambra4 12:11 17 Nov 2008

“I have the phone jack plugged into my DSL router's "DSL" port”

Do you mean a DSL modem with 1 Ethernet port or a router with 4 lan ports?

“With the “Ethernet" port connected to my Wireless Dlink router's LAN1 port”

Connect Ethernet port from dsl modem to Dlink router Internet Port

Connect Lan port 1 on the Dlink router to the lan port on the computer

”LAN2 is connected to my VoIP system's ethernet port, and another phone jack is plugged into my VoIP system's "Phone 1" leading back into the wall”

Connect a telephone to “Phone 1” not back to the wall socket

Your wiring is all wrong

The Ethernet cable from the dsl modem is connected to the Internet port on the dlink router

Using a second Ethernet cable connect the lan port 1 on the dlink router to the computer lan card

Using a third Ethernet cable on port 2 of the dlink router connect it to the voip unit Ethernet port

Connect a telephone to the Phone 1 port on the voip unit not to the wall socket

gajipop 14:04 17 Nov 2008

I've got a DSL router and then a wireless because without the DSL box, I don't get DSL. I just get a phone connection.

mgmcc 15:57 17 Nov 2008

What do you mean by a "DSL box"?

If you have ADSL broadband via the phone line, you must be connecting to it with either an ADSL Modem (USB or Ethernet) or a combined "Router & ADSL Modem". Which of these do you have and, if not a USB Modem, are you then connecting a wireless "Cable/DSL Router" (with no integrated modem) to it?

ambra4 22:16 17 Nov 2008

Is this what you have on the “DSL Box” a single phone line port and a single Ethernet

port is there any other ports on the “DSL Box”

What is the make and model # of the “DSL Box”

And the model # of the “Dlink Wireless Router”

If the DSL Box only has a phone line and a Ethernet port that connect your computer to

your local ISP it is a DSL modem and not a Router.

You have to install and wire your Dlink router and VoIP system as I listed above

DSL is the old broadband system still being used and installed in Third World Countries

ASDL is the new broadband system being installed in many developed countries

A present day ASDL2 + Broadband Wireless Modem / Router look like this and can only

be bought in Europe

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?