Loads of programs will not start

BeefSquisher 18:39 11 Aug 2017

Today a serious amount of programs on my pc once activated either will not load with no response, or returned the error message "[program] has stopped working". Included in these programs are the nvidia control panel/geforce experience, my antivirus (including the uninstall), microsoft office and all games I own. When trying to reinstall geforce etc. the install would also not run at all. Initially there would be a drop in framerate in game then my monitors would seemingly lose connection to the pc, while the audio still played. There was an error message sound but of course I couldn't see it. I later noticed GeForce would not open. A system restore brought me back to where I still had the same problems, but in addition Chrome and Discord weren't working, now I'm in the point I initially described. Are there any suggestions of what I can do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 11 Aug 2017

Try

Start - Power- Restart (not shutdown) do two or three times giving it time to fully boot up before restarting

then see if things have improved.

BeefSquisher 01:02 12 Aug 2017

Thanks, but no change from that. Other information: Windows 7, photo gallery is among the affected, task manager sometimes recognizes the program is trying to start, but it stops without any feedback. Until now I've had no considerable performance issues. My graphics driver isn't updated (but whenever I try install updates it doesn't work, same way as always). Going further back to a restore point a week or so ago didn't help either. All I installed between it working and not is a windows update and a game in closed beta from steam, the game is uninstalled now. I have been having bluescreens as well and doing nothing about it, at fairly regular intervals from when I got the pc. I often leave it on sleep for long periods of time, most of the times it is turned off it is either from a bluescreen and/or me cutting the power.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 12 Aug 2017

OK win 7 not 10

run a command prompt as administrator

type

sfc /scannow

let windows find and replace missing or corrupt windows files exit command prompt on completion and restart the machine

see if that improves things.

BeefSquisher 13:58 12 Aug 2017

"Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix of them. Details are included in the CBS.log..." The problem persists, and CBS.log returns access denied.

BeefSquisher 13:59 12 Aug 2017

*fix some of them

BeefSquisher 02:26 13 Aug 2017

Okay, I tried a second time, this time it found no errors, but the issue is still there. Would you think a system reset would fix it?

mole44 04:58 13 Aug 2017

A tip BeefSquisher when your up and running correctly clone your drive a couple of times,a drive swap is easier then a fresh install.Also move any important data to a separate drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:31 13 Aug 2017

you can't reset windows 7 in the same way as windows 10 however a repair install may work. click here

you will probably then have to let it reinstall a lot of windows updates

good luck

BeefSquisher 20:51 13 Aug 2017

After following those instructions, the situation is now completely different. Photo Gallery is working again, alongside my antivirus. Now, when games are run, the audio plays over a black screen. My product key for windows was rejected, it says I must activate today. Microsoft office products will not open at all, returning an error stating AppVIsvSubsystems32.dll is missing - apparently this file is needed for games also Skype returns an error 0xc0000005, which seems to be associated with failed installs in some way, in addition discord will neither open nor can I uninstall from programs and features. Nvidia, like originally will not open, nor will the installer. So it seems it's about this missing dll. I've seen things offering to fix it automatically for a price (one I installed said I had 2000 issues, before asking for a £20 subscription fee), and articles saying why you shouldn't try installing dll files. What would you suggest?

wee eddie 21:56 13 Aug 2017

If you have been downloading that kind of stuff, I'm not that suprised that you have the problems you have

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires