loading xp

mobileman1953 21:01 12 Sep 2008

reformated machine when reloading windows xp home it installes so many of the files then when it restarts it locks up on the xp splash screen and goes no further any ideas why

paulypj 21:04 12 Sep 2008

how long have u waited?

mobileman1953 21:06 12 Sep 2008

about 10 minutes

csqwared 21:18 12 Sep 2008

Just a thought. If I remeber rightly as the OS installs it keeps shutting down and re-booting. On my machine when it re-boots I get a POST screen inviting "Press any key to continue", if I do that it breaks the installation process, do nothing and it completes the install. Is that what's happening?

Just another thought, is the disc a retail version, an OEM disc or one that was provided by your vendor when you purchased the machine.?

mobileman1953 21:35 12 Sep 2008

it is oem version

mobileman1953 21:36 12 Sep 2008

dont get option to push any key to continue just locks up

csqwared 21:52 12 Sep 2008

Have you altered any of the hardware since the original install? If so an OEM version will not work. Prior to doing the re-install did you format the HDD? I don't know what options you get from the OEM disc but in the retail version, at the start of the install, you get the option to format and (if you want to) partition the HDD. I have always found it advisable to do the format - takes longer but you do start with a clean machine.

mobileman1953 22:00 12 Sep 2008

no hardware change and done a full format not the quick option

csqwared 22:47 12 Sep 2008

Really don't know where to go there from there. It appears from the amount of hits on Google that you are not alone with this problem. Perhaps if you look at one or two of those to see if you can resolve it. Sorry I can't be of more help. :-{

cc

Ashrich 22:59 12 Sep 2008

To remove the possibility of this being a memory problem try removing all but one stick of memory ( providing you have more than one )and reboot, if there is no joy with the first try the second etc. . Did you have any random glitches when doing the file installs ?

Ashley

ronalddonald 00:00 13 Sep 2008

try removing the cmos battery and putting it back in later and c if that resolves the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone