Loading Windows Vista from new laptop onto old one

alpeshxp 21:29 08 May 2007

I have just purchased a new Sony laptop which comes with Windows Vista preinstalled

The recovery software is held on the hard drive under partitioned section so there are no separate disks with operating system

My question is : is it possible to make a back up copy of the operating system on me new pc with Windows Vista and load this onto my old
Sony laptop which has Windows XP

If so any one knows how this can be done

The two models I have are the same except one is the latest one and the other is its predecessor

Thanks

Ashrich 21:36 08 May 2007

If it is possible you would need to buy a new license to go with it , otherwise it would run out in 30 days and it can't be registered on 2 machines at once with the same key .

Ashley

2neat 21:49 08 May 2007

stick with xp on your old lappy.

mammak 22:08 08 May 2007

Without doubt I will be corrected!but I would have thought firstly that the Vista installation partition on your new laptop will/should only work with "that laptop" regardless of similarity's in the models between new and old I would not have thought it could be copied as a fully working OS to another laptop and of course as has been mentioned the case of the licence!

I would think your best option is to buy an upgrade to Vista for your older Win XP laptop.

Ashrich 22:38 08 May 2007

Or , instead of buying an upgrade , buy an OEM copy , cheaper than an upgrade , and although it is tied to the hardware it still works out cheaper , if you have to buy another one sometime , than a full copy or an upgrade .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?