loading locally stored profile

capewell38 16:06 11 Jul 2010

I am a complete novice when it comes to computers. I like to turn it on and access the web. If something doesn't work I am lost.

Last night my wife did something to the computer (she knows not what she did) and now when the PC is switched on a message about Windows cannot load locally stored profile appears but will let me in using another profile. When I accept this, I have to go through a longwided processs, but when logging off it doesn't store anything and I have to go through it all again.

Can anyone tell me how to sort this, so that the PC loads and everything is as it was? Very simple instructions please.

mgmcc 17:13 11 Jul 2010

Immediately after powering on, tap the "F8" key until the Boot Menu appears - white text on a black background. From this, select the option to boot the "Last Known Good Configuration" and see if that gets you going again.

capewell38 18:16 11 Jul 2010

When I did this the configurations listed were

PM-HL-DT-STDVDRRW GWA-4164B
3M-SAMSUNG SP2504C

additionally there was the option to use default (this one doesn't work - same issue)

There was no mention of usinf 'last good configuration.

Do I select one of the others? If so, which onw?

If not, any other ideas?

Thanks for trying to help me.

mgmcc 19:29 11 Jul 2010

OK, try tapping "F5" instead and see if that brings up the Boot Menu. What we're trying to get is a standard Windows Boot Menu which includes options such as Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration etc.

What you've actually brought up is an option to select booting from either the hard drive or the CD/DVD drive.

capewell38 20:39 11 Jul 2010

F5 worked, but selecting last good config didn't. problem persists. The pop-up error message says something about a possible cause being a local profile being corrupt. Does this help?

Any more suggestions?

MAT ALAN 21:09 11 Jul 2010

click here

you will need to create a new user account, you nwill of course have to completely delete the one with the error...

capewell38 23:06 11 Jul 2010

Thank you Mat Alan. Problem appears to have been solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?