LLU info

Bike-it 21:08 11 Jan 2008

When people refere to an ISP having LLU what does this mean, and how do you know if your ISP or indeed any other ISP having LLU.

Technotiger 21:16 11 Jan 2008
  Technotiger 21:17 11 Jan 2008

Also click here

woodchip 21:18 11 Jan 2008

Local Loop Unbundled, Isp's fit their own equipment in the Exchange where they can. This make's it cheaper for them to supply your Landline Service. But once on it not many will take you back on to a BT line as it cost a lot

Bike-it 21:37 11 Jan 2008

Thanks.
So am i going to get a better service like faster speeds from an ISP who has LLU.
The exchange near (link below) me only has two ISP who have LLU Sky and easynet should ukonline not also be listed as they are owned by Sky.

click here

Technotiger 21:44 11 Jan 2008

No, you wouldn't notice any difference - going by my own experience.

BTW, though now in England, I am from the beautiful County of Down!

Stuartli 23:30 11 Jan 2008

>>But once on it not many will take you back on to a BT line as it cost a lot>>

The final stages of an LLU service (at least in the case with me and TalkTalk) is provided from the exchange to my Master socket by BT.

The main difficulty is switching (i.e. obtaining a MAC) from an LLU enabled broadband service to another ISP, whether it offers LLU or the basic service.

Bike-it 00:02 12 Jan 2008

Thanks folks.
BTW Technotiger where did you used to live?

Technotiger 08:18 12 Jan 2008

The suburbs of Belfast, where I was born.

Bike-it 13:36 12 Jan 2008

So am i right to think that i would better going to an ISP that does not have LLU at the local exchange.
Technotiger i dont live that far from Belfast just up the road in Newry.

Stuartli 13:44 12 Jan 2008

Not necessarily. All it means is that the ISP installs its own equipment in your BT exchange, thereby helping to reduce its costs which, normally, result in lower monthly subscription charges.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone