Livebox & Speedtouch issue

joslaptop 18:38 31 Jan 2009

Hi guys 1st post please be gentle. I recently purchased a laptop and have managed thanks to the help in these forum pages to pair it up with my orange livebox. I previously used my pc which is as old as grass to connect to the internet via the usb speedtouch modem also supplied by orange.
My pc is too old to connect wireless so I still use the speedtouch modem on the pc. I would like the kids to be able to use the internet on the pc whilst I use the laptop, however when I plug in the livebox it seems to overide the speedtouch and drops the connection on the pc but the laptop works fine. I have the master BT socket with two cables wired into it, one runs into the living room and one upstairs. The one downstairs has a filter plugged in with a phone in one socket and the livebox in the other. Upstairs I have another filter with a phone in one socket and the usb speedtouch modem in the other. I had no problems with any phone or speedtouch prior to plugging in that little livebox cable but cannot run the internet on both the pc via speedtouch and laptop via wireless together, any idea or am I just asking too much from the BT line ?

brundle 18:47 31 Jan 2009

You can't run two ADSL modems on one line. Position the livebox near the desktop PC, fit a PCI network card to the PC if required, and an ethernet cable to connect the two and get rid of the Speedtouch.

brundle 18:52 31 Jan 2009

I should have been clearer - you can't run two ADSL modems on one line /simultaneously/

joslaptop 19:49 31 Jan 2009

Thanks for making my first post painless. My pc is an old P4 1.3mhz without an ethernet port I don't know how much a pci network card costs or even if my old faithfull can take one. I will just have to make sure the kids and I are not on the net at the same time, at least I know it's nothing I have done / connected wrongly. Thanks brundle for your prompt and clear reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?