Livebox cannot detect broadband

mar34 22:35 20 Feb 2008

Without warning my connection to Orange broadband via the livebox went down 5 months ago. My pc was a wired connection with a wireless connection to my laptop. After checking all cables, connections etc I contacted Orange on numerous occasions. They checked my account, sent out a BT engineer to check the line, replaced the livebox but all to no avail. In desperation I asked them to send out another modem which they did - a speedtouch modem. This is a dial up broadband modem and I am able to get my broadband connection ok on this. However I cannot connect to my laptop on this and really want my wireless router to work!
When I asked Orange why the modem detects the broadband ok but not the livebox they informed me that they use different frequencies. I don't think they have much clue about any of this.
Can anyone advise what I can do to get the livebox router to detect the broadband? I have reset it several times to no affect.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 20 Feb 2008

When connected to phne line what lights are lit?

mar34 00:38 21 Feb 2008

The @ light gives 6 steady flashes and then flashes rapidly for several seconds and then repeats these on a continual cycle. Most of the time the wireless light flashes steadily.

laurie53 07:43 21 Feb 2008

Exact symptoms I had with a faulty cable between the telephone wall socket and the Livebox. BT don't check anything beyond their own terminal.

Try a new/substitute cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 21 Feb 2008

Faulty cable or faulty filter looks likely.

@ light flashing means BB not synchronised. light needs to be steady.

mar34 19:25 21 Feb 2008

Thanks all for you help but I have replaced all the cables and nothing changed.

My brother came by tonight with his router (not a livebox) and when we tried it, it did not pick up the broadband either.

I then reconnected my dial up broadband modem and now I recieve broadband again.

I don't understand why the modem can pick up the BB signal but a router can't.

Daveboy 21:20 21 Feb 2008

Modems & routers do "talk" differently, there is a setting that BT can see that sometimes "locks" to either one. The de-fault should be auto so that either can sync @ the next opportunity, but as I say it sometimes doesn't release-hence modem or router only.Good luck getting someone to take that on board though !

MCE2K5 21:30 21 Feb 2008

dial up broadband modem?, click here

Daveboy 21:49 21 Feb 2008

USB type b/b modems are set up like a "dial up" modem, hence the confusion.

MCE2K5 21:56 21 Feb 2008

Cheers Daveboy, Just wondered.

mar34 10:14 23 Feb 2008

Thanks for your responses. I will contact Orange again and see if they can get BT to investigate the settings on my line. Will let you know how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?