Live Search Headache

jimmyflood 11:46 11 Feb 2010

I have a problem with my Toshiba Satellite Pro L20 Laptop. I cannot get on the internet using Internet Explorer. I think the issue is that the only search provider I have in the list is Live Search, which says is unavailable. I cannot get on line to download any other providers. I can go online with Firefox.

northumbria61 12:02 11 Feb 2010

Try this first-
If you can open the Internet Explorer Homepage - click on TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - ADVANCED TAB - RESET (Reset Internet Explorer Settings)

Have you got the latest version of I.E ? If not you could update to I.E 8

jimmyflood 17:55 12 Feb 2010

I have come to the conclusion that it is something to do with my wireless settings, possibly firewall.
I have mobile internet through T Mobile which works fine away from home, yet I try to connect to my wireless network in my home and I cannot get Internet Explorer 8 to connect. anybody any ideas, router settings are a bit technical for me?

Technotiger 18:00 12 Feb 2010

"I cannot get on line to download any other providers. I can go online with Firefox."

Your statement is a contradiction ... if you can go online with Firefox, then surely you can use Google?

jimmyflood 18:06 12 Feb 2010

I can go online with Firefox, but it is Internet Explorer I want to use. Firefox would allow me to download providers for Firefox only. I may be mistaken but I don't think providers are something you can save to your hard drive as a file and then run in Internet Explorer later.

northumbria61 21:37 12 Feb 2010

What's wrong with using Firefox if it works for you?
However if you want to use Internet Explorer try a REINSTALL of I.E 8. Using Google (via Firefox) go to Microsoft.com and download it. If you want to remove I.E first before you do a reinstall you can do that via Windows Updates depending on your OS which you haven't mentioned so far.
BUT have you tried RESET as I mentioned previously?

rdave13 21:48 12 Feb 2010

Reset IE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?