Live Search Headache

jimmyflood 11:46 11 Feb 2010

I have a problem with my Toshiba Satellite Pro L20 Laptop. I cannot get on the internet using Internet Explorer. I think the issue is that the only search provider I have in the list is Live Search, which says is unavailable. I cannot get on line to download any other providers. I can go online with Firefox.

northumbria61 12:02 11 Feb 2010

Try this first-
If you can open the Internet Explorer Homepage - click on TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - ADVANCED TAB - RESET (Reset Internet Explorer Settings)

Have you got the latest version of I.E ? If not you could update to I.E 8

jimmyflood 17:55 12 Feb 2010

I have come to the conclusion that it is something to do with my wireless settings, possibly firewall.
I have mobile internet through T Mobile which works fine away from home, yet I try to connect to my wireless network in my home and I cannot get Internet Explorer 8 to connect. anybody any ideas, router settings are a bit technical for me?

Technotiger 18:00 12 Feb 2010

"I cannot get on line to download any other providers. I can go online with Firefox."

Your statement is a contradiction ... if you can go online with Firefox, then surely you can use Google?

jimmyflood 18:06 12 Feb 2010

I can go online with Firefox, but it is Internet Explorer I want to use. Firefox would allow me to download providers for Firefox only. I may be mistaken but I don't think providers are something you can save to your hard drive as a file and then run in Internet Explorer later.

northumbria61 21:37 12 Feb 2010

What's wrong with using Firefox if it works for you?
However if you want to use Internet Explorer try a REINSTALL of I.E 8. Using Google (via Firefox) go to Microsoft.com and download it. If you want to remove I.E first before you do a reinstall you can do that via Windows Updates depending on your OS which you haven't mentioned so far.
BUT have you tried RESET as I mentioned previously?

rdave13 21:48 12 Feb 2010

Reset IE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache