Live messenger webcam

swanny2 22:08 26 Sep 2008

My friend has just purchased a webcam,unfortunately when he starts his cam i see the accept button for less than 3 secs and it goes off,saying its declined,
Happens all the time. he sed he has the cam on his end an can see ,but i cant get the webcam , any ideas please hes on vista im on xp
thanks

oldbeefer2 10:05 28 Sep 2008

Suggest you both download Skype. I find it is much better for video than Messenger (and it's free).

swanny2 14:48 29 Sep 2008

cheers mate, but the thing is i can see me sisters webcam no probs just seems too be his . yet everything seems the same.

DieSse 14:51 29 Sep 2008

Are you both on the same version of Messenger? - if not, that can cause problems.

Condom 15:25 29 Sep 2008

The difference between XP and Vista should not be causing the problem. There are many versions of Messenger available despite repeated calls to Microsoft to sort the mess out. There was not only many versions of Microsoft Messenger but also Windows Messenger which confused people even more. I would suggest you both use the newer Windows Live Messenger 2008 (version 8.5). Your present problems are probably software in that one of you has probably not got the software for Messenger or even your web installed properly. It should be easy to figure out who is causing the problem by testing it with someone else. If you are not having problems chatting to other people then the problem is at your friend's end. Best I can offer you at the moment.

swanny2 23:21 29 Sep 2008

Thanks for the help we both got sssype and it ok . thankyou

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017