Live Messenger Update not working

Dannyb 21:45 03 Mar 2009

I downloaded the latest Live Messenger and it would not let me log on. Uninstalled it using "Your Uninstaller" but still the programme seems to be there (Icon is still in my taskbar) but now there is no icon in the Add/Remove. I want to uninstall it but don't know how to cleanly remove it. Tried to download it again but can't because it says I already have it installed. Help! This is doing my head in. The previous version worked fine, wish I didn't bother to try and update it.

Diodorus Siculus 22:05 03 Mar 2009

My preferred remedy would be system restore to a date prior to the installation of the update.

Dannyb 23:01 03 Mar 2009

Thanks Diodorus, tried that but still have the new Messenger which doesn't let me log in. System restore won't work. It goes through the motions then tells me it failed.

Dannyb 20:50 04 Mar 2009

Still the same, can't uninstall it, can't re-install it, everytime I try to log on a box appears to say that "live messenger is temporarily offline, try again later". However, according to microsoft it is working alright and I can log on to web messenger. I switched off my firewall but it didn't make any difference. I really would like to uninstall it and start again but don't know how.

Kingfisher 22:04 04 Mar 2009

try this uninstaller and then let it search for any leftover entries for live messenger in the registry click here
proceed with caution when deleting entries in registry export a registry copy to desktop just in case. File> export in registry menu bar
good luck

Dannyb 22:27 04 Mar 2009

Kingfisher, you are a star sir, thank you very much. I have downloaded that programme and removed Messenger. Re-installed the older version and all is well again. Thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?