Live email on Win 7 PC and laptop?

cagey 23:31 18 Apr 2010

I am using Windows Live Email on both my PC and new laptop. When I open emails on my laptop they do not show on my PC even if I mark them as unread. How can I open them on my laptop and be able to open them again on my PC when I get home?

mgmcc 12:22 19 Apr 2010

You need to configure Windows Live Mail to leave messages on the server, so that they can be retrieved again with the second computer.

In the menus, "Tools > Accounts", highlight your account and click the Properties button. In the Properties sheet that opens, select the Advanced tab and tick the box "Leave a copy of messages on the server". Don't leave them on the server indefinitely, otherwise mail retrieval will get progressively slower as the program has to scan through all messages to find which are new messages.

[You may have to press the "Alt" key to display the Menu bar.]

The alternative is to use IMAP instead of POP3. With IMAP, your email program "synchronises" with the server, which continues to host the messages. You then have access to all mail, including your *sent* messages in both computers.

Pineman100 17:09 19 Apr 2010

Just a PS to mgmcc's excellent advice.

If you want to always open the emails in the same order, e.g. laptop first, then desktop (or vice versa), you can set the laptop to leave a copy on the server, but not the desktop (or vice versa).

That way you won't have to remember to carry out periodic batch deletes of emails from the ISP's server.

But if you're unable to predict which computer will open any email first, then you'll have to set them both to leave a copy on the server.

Sea Urchin 18:08 19 Apr 2010

By setting a number of days to leave them on the server you won't have "to carry out periodic batch deletes"

Pineman100 18:12 19 Apr 2010

Always assuming that you're confident of having downloaded them to both computers within that number of days.

cagey 18:52 19 Apr 2010

Thanks everyone for your replies to my problem, but I am sorry to report that emails are not showing on the pc after I have opened them on the laptop and vice versa. I have checked the box for "Leave a copy of message on server"; but it doesn't do it. Any help please?

jimmer409® 19:00 19 Apr 2010

must do as mgmcc says for each account, do on one computer only. it does work, use it on my main work account

mgmcc 20:28 19 Apr 2010

>>> but I am sorry to report that emails are not
>>> showing on the pc after I have opened them on
>>> the laptop and vice versa.

Presumably you are using Windows Live Mail to retrieve mail from an ISP's POP3 server?

I know that I had a problem trying to do what you want when retrieving *GOOGLEMAIL* via POP3. Even though I configured the email programs to leave messages on the server, and they remained accessible on Googlemail's website, I could only retrieve them with the first computer that collected them. This is not normal behaviour and I've only experienced it with Google.

cagey 23:38 19 Apr 2010

mgmcc Yes I am using Windows Live Mail to retrieve mail from an ISP's POP3 server. Have tried ticking the box in, I think, every combination, but still cannot keep messages on both computers. When I open a message on one computer it doesn't show on the other one. Help please??

mgmcc 09:16 20 Apr 2010

>>> When I open a message on one computer it doesn't show on the other one.

If you've ticked the box in *both* computers to leave messages on the server then, when you run a Send/Receive session in either computer, you should retrieve whatever messages are on the server. This will only work with any messages received after you set up this arrangement.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "opening a message on one computer". Your email program goes online, connects to the POP3 server, checks for new messages, downloads them and then disconnects. You then have the new messages unread in your inbox. You should be able to do exactly the same thing with the second computer. Whether or not you actually open the messages to read them is immaterial.

cagey 11:01 22 Apr 2010

mgmcc I have followed the procedure you have stated in your last posting. I have ticked the box to leave a copy of the message on the server, but it doesn't seem to work. If I open Live Mail on either of the computers and a message is received and even if I don't open it, it is not showing on the other computer as being received. Sounds crazy I know, but that is what is happening. I must be doing something wrong but what?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017