Live chat - tell me all about it.

jack O'lantern 10:15 22 Dec 2010

So far over all the years, I have been aware of 'Live Chat' on my desk top- but to me it is/was just another Icon - and have never investigated its potential or usefulness.
Then on Sunday last whilst checking my webmail a yelloow box popped up suggesting the C... was on line.
C... being a contact in the snows of Alberta Canada, I thought 'What does this mean' and suddenly I/We ewere live chatting back and forth via our keyboards.
Something new and useful then.

This morning when I fired up and looked in mail a script came up with words to the effect
'Chat has been closed' because you have logged on from another computer'
Well I havn't - so Who did and from where?
Is someone pirating my wireless router?
This device too is new and I am still learning.

For example whilst at home I can access the web from my iTouch.
Being curious as to the range possiblities I took the Touch to my mate in the next road- may be only 50 yards away across the gardens- but 5 minutes walk round the road- to see if I could connect from there - but no it didn't.
So any thoughts please.

ashleycardwell94 00:55 23 Dec 2010

i presume you made an account and were you using windows live messenger?

If you receive the message about being logged in from a different location, then you probably gave. I used Windows live messenger on my desktop and laptop and once the desktop signed in, a message popped up on my laptop saying that i was logged in at two locations. Ask if anyone has used you computer in your home. You or someone must have made an account for you to be able to use the live chat service.

It wouldn't be caused by someone else using your wireless network. They would have to log in to the chat program using your log in details, so if someone else is logging in to your account then they must know those.

I would suggest you change your password to be on the safe side click here (if it's Windows Live Messenger)

jack O'lantern 10:32 23 Dec 2010

The icon popped up whilst I was in my Yahoo mail account[Also new to me - New ISP you see]

Has some one made an account on my machine?
That is a positive No - I live alone - work alone and no one visits my den.

I in fact wondered if this 'other computer' was in fact my iTouch - which I had also meen experimenting with and succeceed in linking into the router accessing a site or two with the main machine shut down.

So last night I deleted the whole iTouch setting - ready to reconnect ot iTunes for an update and reload- yet this morning I was told by Yahoo live chat - that the 'Other Computer' was still logged in.

One whilst circulating some of my contact with invites - one[A trylt computer literate person] responded- 'Not me dont use Yahoo'
So thats another question is chat browsers specific?
Yahoo to Yahoo- Google to Google -Win live to Win Live
Or is an all platforms system?

lotvic 23:49 23 Dec 2010

These might help to explain a bit Yahoo Chat click here click here
(I don't use chat so have no personal experience but it seems to be the way you are closing program - possibly you are not logging off messenger properly)

jack O'lantern 14:18 28 Dec 2010

Shutting down
Th esequence appears to be logs me on then later shuts me down because 'I am logged on 'on another computer.'
Except there is not one- not withstanding checking out all the other suggested possibilities.

monkeyboy21 14:32 28 Dec 2010

As i understand it, if you sign in with another device without having logged out from your original site (which is easy enough to do) then this is where the message would originate from. I know this because I have windows live at work, home laptop and Mobile, so I am often logged in at different sites.

tullie 14:48 28 Dec 2010

How did you talk to a complete stranger?I understood that it had to be someone you know or invite?Maybe im wrong,but i think your infected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?