Liteon SOHW 1213SX

paul_allard 14:41 07 Mar 2007

Have bought one of these external DVD rewriters off Ebay but my computer does not recognise it. I run Windows XP. Does this mean the machine is a dud ? Power is getting through and it's plugged into my USB hub.

Any ideas ?

skidzy 14:47 07 Mar 2007

Is it recognised in Disk management ?

Start/right click My Computer and select manage/Disk Management....

paul_allard 14:52 07 Mar 2007

All that appears when I click Manage, then Disk Management is my C drive, my built-in CD-ROm drive (D) and my built-in DVD drive (E). (Thanks for speedy response)

skidzy 15:02 07 Mar 2007

Have you tried it in another pc/laptop or directly in to the usb port on the computer.

Maybe try unplugging other usb devices and then try your external drive.

Depending on your system,some front ports are usb 1.1 and your drive requires usb 2.0.So try a back usb port if you already havnt.

This may be a power issue or dead drive.

skidzy 15:03 07 Mar 2007

Just a quick question,you are running xp sp2 ?

paul_allard 17:42 07 Mar 2007

I think I have sp2 (how do I check ?)

I will try it when I get home ('cos I'm at work !) on a laptop and see if that works.

Will get back to you later

skidzy 19:18 07 Mar 2007

Windows key+pausebreak,here you will see your operating system and either service pack 1 or service pack 2.

paul_allard 13:05 08 Mar 2007

OK - I have XP SP2 on both machines. My laptop seems to have no trouble with it : it appears in My Computer. BUT my main computer still does not recognise the Unidentified USB device. Any ideas ?

skidzy 13:54 08 Mar 2007

First thing to try is:

Refresh all usb ports.
Windows key+ Pausebreak/hardware/Device Manager/now uninstall everything under usb and reboot,xp will find and install the drivers.
All being well,if the drive is plugged in,windows will recognise this.

paul_allard 17:47 09 Mar 2007

That seems to have worked - it now recognises the DVD rewriter but I haven't managed to burn a DVD yet. Any advice on free software ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?