Lite-On LH-20A1P Won't recognise DVDs

TheAtheist 23:00 10 Feb 2008

Hey. I hope somebody can help. The LH20A1P won't recognise any type of DVD media I put in the drive. A messagebox comes up stating E:\ is not accessible. Invalid function - whatever that means. I downloaded the latest firmware file DR20KLON.zip for this particular drive and that doesn't work either.

I've tried TDK -R and Maxell -RW disks and really reluctant to buy anymore until I can sort this out. What's really odd is that I can sling in any type/make of CD-ROM and it works fine. It will also play DVDs okay so it really makes no sense why this is happening. This is supposed to be a multi format device inasmuch its supposed to work with -/+r -/+RW or RAM disks so I naturally assumed that the disk type wont be an issue.

Any ideas - That don't involve a large hammer ;)

Widow's Son 00:17 11 Feb 2008

I can remember buying my first cd writer (not dvd) for over £100

The good news is they are so cheap now (about £20) that you can just bin them - if its playing up it really isn't worth the hassle

They are very easy to install (normally just one power lead and one ribbon cable) - just ensure that you have the jumpers sorted (six pins on rear with a little cover which goes over two of them) set the same way as your old drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?