Linux and Wubi installer.

Miros 21:45 18 Dec 2007

I have been going bog eyed reading about Linux and the different versions available and the possible problems that may arise.

This link for Wubi click here a Linux installer would seem to be the most simple way to install Linux and (uninstall if not happy) that I have seen so far.

Has anyone tried it and can they recommend it.

octal 21:58 18 Dec 2007

Your link isn't working, but a number of people on here are using PCLinuxOS click here just download and re-boot with the disc in and it will run as a live CD and if you are satisfied with it just install it on your system following the wizard, it couldn't be easier.

Miros 22:33 18 Dec 2007

Strange it was working earlier, maybe there is a temporary problem with the web site.
I have Downloaded PCLinux and Ubuntu and so far had no luck using them.

Could it be because I using XP and NTFS? Read somewhere that there could be a problem with a 64 bit system.

octal 22:38 18 Dec 2007

It could be the site down.

You shouldn't have a problem loading PCLOS on a 64 bit system. Have you tried run the disc as a live CD, just boot the computer with the CD in the drive and it will run from the CD without loading it on the hard drive. If you haven't got a hardware problem it should load up OK and run from the CD.

octal 22:41 18 Dec 2007

Maybe I'm wrong there, sorry, but apparently there isn't a 64 bit version out for PCLOS yet, so that might be the problem.

skidzy 22:47 18 Dec 2007

Link is fine here in Firefox Octal.
Miros this link may help,lots of info to hand click here

octal 22:48 18 Dec 2007

Me yet again. I have been doing some reading up on it and you will actually be able to run it on your 64 bit system at 32 bits no problem, so give it a try and see how you get on.

octal 22:50 18 Dec 2007

Thanks skidzy, yes the link is working fine now, so it must have been a glitch on the site.

Miros 23:03 18 Dec 2007

Have been reading your Postings re: Linux. and to be honest there is too much there, if you know what I mean.
I thought the Wubi installer would simplify things, I see the link is working again, so must have been a glitch.

octal 08:50 19 Dec 2007

I'm not sure of the value of that Wubi installer because the wizards that nearly all the distributions use these days are so easy to use I can't see the point in using Wubi, unless the Ubuntu installer is that unfriendly, the PCLinux one easy.

How much room do you plan on giving Linux on the hard drive?

Miros 09:34 19 Dec 2007

I haven't found either to be easy. To start with I was hoping to try running from the CD, but have been unable to open up the either of the downloaded Linux OS's.

ON this my main machine I have XP, but I also have a seven year old machine with windows 98 which I was hoping to try it out on. Off the top of my head I think it only has a 12 GB HD, which has been reformatted, so virtually starting from scratch.

On this machine I connect by wireless router, the older one by dial up modem, at the moment I can only use one or the other, not both together.

I know all the Linux downloads are ISO files, should windows (XP) be able to read them? Or do I need an ISO reader? I did have ISO Buster but it was asking me for money to " continue" which kinda defeats what I thought was a free open source program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?