Linux / Windows

A.A.A 11:18 18 Oct 2003

Hello to all members.I installed Mandrake Linux on my seconde hard drive(slave) and windowsXP(installed first) on the master, when i open linux is fine and can switch to windows. But when i am on windows i can not switch to linux. sort of the two hard drive dont talk to each other.any idea of how to work on both platforms without having to restart the PC everytime. And transfering files. Or do you recommend any other linux. Appreciate your time and help. cheers

SheffieldSpy 11:35 18 Oct 2003

How do you mean switch? You can just restart the computer. Or do you mean to access content on the other hard disk drive? If you have installed Mandrake under its native Ext2 format, Windows will be unable to read it. Yet, Linux supports hard disks running under systems called FAT32 and sometimes NTFS. Has anyone been successful installing Mandrake on FAT32?? How do you do it?

A.A.A 11:48 18 Oct 2003

hi sheffieldspy. Yes i mean access linux from windows. i can see the hard drive which has linux on it on the device manager but not access. also when i installed linux mandrake it didnt prompt me for any other format exept Ext2. do you know how to do that? what i mean is there any way to install mandrake in such way it will be visible and accessible fom windows. thanks for your help n everybody else

The GnoMe 12:10 18 Oct 2003
  SheffieldSpy 11:08 19 Oct 2003

I'm informed that you can install |Mandrake on a FAT32 filesystem (The one used by Windows98, ME, 2000 and XP.). I have attempted to install mandrake 9.0 on a FAT32 system, but it cannot make a "Mount Point".

SheffieldSpy 11:12 19 Oct 2003

Could you not setup an FAT32 partition and save your files to that? Both operating systems can read that. I can't see that you will need access to the Linux Operating system files.

Tesman 11:44 19 Oct 2003

SheffieldSpy's suggestion of a shared FAT32 partition is the simplest and best, however, there is a program available to allow you to access Linux partitions from Windows:-

click here

I've not tried it myself, but it seems to be what you're looking for.

SheffieldSpy - you can't install Linux on the FAT32 filesystem, I'm afraid, unles you want to try this:-

click here

A.A.A 18:59 19 Oct 2003

hi sheffieldspy and tesman.
before i read your reply i have already install mandrake an windowsxp (in/out) 4 or 5 times (trying partition ,seperate HD and all stuff) however i tried to install mandrake on ntfs filesystem and didnt allow me and prompt me with the different file system(ext2...) it uses but as far as i remember did not include fat32.
so now i have them on two partition.
i m going to have look at the site suggested by tesman.
cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?