Linux and Virgin Broadband

ex-wirecutter 11:22 14 Jan 2010

I am coming to the end of my contract with BT broadband and am looking for a faster alternative . Am thinking about Virgin but on going to their user site was surprised to find that " Virgin does not support Linux" hummm Am told that it can be configured manually but as I am no expert not sure about this , and do not want to spend ages on their expensive help line . Any Linux users give advice please ?

kjrider 11:29 14 Jan 2010

Using it on Virgin Broadband OK. All seems to work fine. I am using it at the moment, with it plugged into my router and then into the virgin modem.

KJR

ex-wirecutter 11:50 14 Jan 2010

All the horror stories not true then ? Did you have much trouble setting it up ? By the way thanks for the reply.

kjrider 12:02 14 Jan 2010

Just plugged it into the router and it worked.
My old laptop works with it with the wifi OK too.
(Am on my other PC now with Win 7)

KJR

mgmcc 12:07 14 Jan 2010

If you have a router, regardless of the service provider, the computer will connect to it via ethernet using TCP/IP protocol. The Operating System - whether Windows, Mac or Linux - is immaterial.

My PC is connected to a router so, if I boot it with a Linux CD, I'm online as soon as it has finished booting - there is nothing to set up.

...and that's with Virgin's Cable service.

LastChip 12:41 14 Jan 2010

Linux couldn't care less, whether you use Vigin, BT, Pipex or any other ISP.

The key to a successful Linux connection is to use a router. Providing you do that, you shouldn't have any difficulty.

When Virgin says they don't support Linux, what they really mean is; they don't have any scripts for their call centre people to rely on.

The quality of support is variable, depending on the individual you speak to. For example, a friend of mine was told, a router he bought wouldn't work with Virgin (as they hadn't supplied it). About an hour later, we had it up and running and it hasn't missed a beat since.

In other words, they will only attempt to support what they have supplied and in my experience, even that support is nothing to shout home about!

ex-wirecutter 13:40 14 Jan 2010

Thanks everyone for your comments / advice , I've heard about Virgin so-called customer service but I suppose if it just " works " then you don't need it.
I've just got a few days of my BT contract left so I'll mull it over and decide . BT's download speed is getting worse.

User-1229748 17:45 14 Jan 2010

if moving to virgin adsl make sure they don't supply you with the DG834Gv5 router if signing up to 10mg or above as it has a different chipset to earlier versions and is not great to put it mildly.On your question of what virgin support i'm using windows 7 64 bit and they don't support that either but it works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache