Linux v M/S

Rtus 22:39 03 Jan 2007

Ive been toying with a unit to run a few projects. however I want to compare Linux ( or open source type ) to win xp We have been involved with Star office review , if any one remembers , LOL.I ve tried a few ubunto,gentoo centos 4.3 the last being the most user frndly so far.every thing in istalation went smoothly with the exception of I could not get the DVDRW drive recognised let alone burn, cdrom imediately
recognised.I have posted for more info on linux support sites ,but things are slow there as no response to date

Rtus 22:41 03 Jan 2007

opps didnt finish..Anyone doing same & whats been your experiance of getting harware installed/recognised?

Rossi#1 23:11 03 Jan 2007

I dual-booted with ubuntu which recognised all my hardware except the graphics card. Try using Automatix, click here for download and instructions, it may find your drivers.

ashdav 00:14 04 Jan 2007

Try Suse 10.2.click here you've got a PC use the X86 version . I would recommend downloading the DVD version with a torrent client as it automatically includes error checking.
Before you install read this click here
I'm trying this myself at the moment on my "experimental" machine and I'm quite pleased. Media file playback is a bit more messy than XP as there doesn't seem to be one player that does it all like Mediaplayer Classic so you have to set Realplayer for streaming (not like the Windows one that takes over everything), Amarok for mp3 and Kaffiene for video but everything else is there.
Installing software that is not part of a Linux package can be a chore but stick at it.
It's a learning process. There are many forums specific to each Linux distro around you just have to Google for them.
I was daunted the first time I tried Linux about 2yrs ago but things are improving all the time.
Good luck.

ashdav 00:31 04 Jan 2007

Re your post at 22:41 (should read it before I post)
Recognising hardware has always been a bugbear of Linux especially wireless cards but I've found Suse 10.2 to be very good.
I've got it installed on a Athlon XP2500 with 2 x SATA hdd, DVD rom and a writer, floppy/card reader combo, external USB memory sticks and Netgear wifi card and it all works ok from install without tweaking.

Rtus 10:59 04 Jan 2007

ashdav.thanks Ill try it later on.My units are Amd based (Am2-4600 + X2 3000+ ,Im trying to build a disk of linux drivers for my epson multi printer & wifi stuff .But finding drivers for LG DVRW-DL drive is prooving difficult, I wouldnt attempt writing one yet.

Rtus 11:00 04 Jan 2007

thanks. will look at that option too

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?