Linux SoftwareQuery

ex-wirecutter 11:36 23 Mar 2008

As a newcomer to Linux could anyone tell me if all Linux based software will run on all its variants ?
I am giving Ubuntu a try and so far all the software I have downloaded wont even install as the files are showing up as " unknown type " The software that came bundled with Ubuntu works fine its just that I feel hesitant about going on the internet without an anti virus prog. although I understand Linux is less vulnerable than Windows. I have tried Ubuntu.com and there does not seem to be a lot on it.

DieSse 12:44 23 Mar 2008

"I am giving Ubuntu a try and so far all the software I have downloaded wont even install as the files are showing up as " unknown type ""

Where are you getting them from - really for a beginner, it's best to look for extra software via the built-in facility (Synaptic) - this pretty much guarantees that the software will download and install exactly the right bits to work correctly.

Here's a good guide as to how to install new software.

click here

There are thousands of add-on programs that work in Linux.

ex-wirecutter 13:44 23 Mar 2008

Thanks DieSse Have been to the site and will now read
up on Ubuntu .
It makes a change from Windows , gives the brain a bit of a workout !
Much obliged.

ex-wirecutter 13:48 23 Mar 2008

Is it true you dont really need an anti virus or firewall for Linux ?

DieSse 14:55 23 Mar 2008

Sort of. It's muck less likely to be attacked, and it's much less vulnerable to attack.

But you can get AV and Firewalls for Linux, just as you can for anything.

Whilst you're just "playing" I wouldn't worry - but if you move to a live system, then you probably should (but in any case, worry much less than with Windows).

Incidentally Ubuntu 8.04 beta has just been released. Final version due out in April. 8.04 is a "Long Term Support" (LTS) version, and is really the one you should be looking at. It's very solid already, and has lots of the latest versions of components and included programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?