LINUX Red hat- modem

algernonymous 21:43 23 Jun 2004

How do you get the modem to dial up? In windoze, I click on IE and up comes the 'Connect' window. When I do the same in RH, I get the browser window come up, but its not connecting. It even shows as online in the bottom right-hand corner of the window even though I haven't got the modem cable plugged in! The modem wasn't found during install, so I'm trying to use a generic driver. As you may have gathered, I'm new to linux, but would really like to use it.

Chegs ® 22:56 23 Jun 2004

What kind of modem is it?If its in need of a driver,then its gonna be hard work(but possible)I did it the easy way,I bought a modem/router as cfg'ing linux to use the NIC was really easy,whereas getting my previous ADSL PCI cards driver to work proved impossible as I never fully altered everything(filewise)The nearest I got to it going online was me finally getting linux to attempt to initiate the modem,and my ISP's server rejecting it(incorrect username/password)

algernonymous 10:25 24 Jun 2004

It's an intel 537. I tried lindows some while back, that recognised the modem and installed driver and I recall it also dialled up but it didn't connect to net. (Maybe the same reason as yours, I can't remember, I just gave up!) I may have configured the generic driver incorrectly, I'm not a techie so was just going through using defaults where I wasn't sure(!). Anyway, must go, going away for a few days. Cheers.

algernonymous 10:30 24 Jun 2004

Just read my last posting, my bit about configuring modem was on this latest attempt, not lindows.

dth 10:33 24 Jun 2004

The Intel website has a Linux driver
for this modem at:-

click here*&submit=Go%21

algernonymous 12:26 30 Jun 2004

Thanks dth, there are 2 red hat drivers there, for 'symmetric multiprocessor' or 'uni-processor', would you know how I find out which one I need?

dth 16:28 30 Jun 2004

uni-processor

algernonymous 17:24 30 Jun 2004

Thanks. The problem I'm having is I keep getting the 'no modem detected' box.

algernonymous 22:46 30 Jun 2004

Maybe I'll try Mandrake...?

algernonymous 22:53 30 Jun 2004

I've got a load of different internal modems, are there any makes that work better than others?

dth 20:15 01 Jul 2004

The recent versions of Suse (9.1 and 9.0) claim to work with up to about 75% of winmodems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?